Cal continues to make noise on the recruiting trail. But this one is a bit of an unexpected variety. The Bears picked up their second quarterback of the 2014 recruiting cycle, picking up a commitment from Santa Ana (Ca.) Mater Dei signal-caller Chase Forrest. This is a scholarship offer.
Santa Ana Mater Dei quarterback Chase Forrest got a scholarship offer from California on Tuesday night and committed, Coach Bruce Rollinson said.
Forrest twice guided Mater Dei into the Pac-5 championship game.
"With his running ability and their offense and his live arm, they got a good quarterback," Rollinson said.
This past season, Forrest passed for 2,004 yards and 14 TDs and rushed for 305 yards to help the Monarchs reach a second consecutive Pac-5 Division final. He emerged as the starter for Mater Dei as a junior.
Forrest joins Luke Rubenzer as the second quarterback in this recruiting class. Forrest hasn’t had much of an active recruitment. The 6’3, 180 pound quarterback currently has only a few standing offers coming from Eastern Washington, Northern Colorado and Weber State. We'll see if an SEC offer changes his stance, but right now he's chosen the Bears.
For those wondering why we're getting a second QB in this class, the answer can be found on our depth chart. Cal is returning only two quarterbacks next season in Jared Goff and Austin Hinder, and the Bears probably do not want to be a quarterback short if injuries pile up. Forrest has a solid arm and decent mobility and could come in handy down the line, so I'm glad the coaching staff is deciding to stock up on quarterbacks.
This shouldn’t change our future recruiting strategy either. Expect Cal to take a quarterback in 2015.
Welcome Chase! Go Bears!
Here are his ratings:
- 247Sports: Three stars, 110th best California recruit, 53rd best pro-style quarterback
- Rivals: Two stars
- Scout: 85th best quarterback, two stars.
You can watch his senior highlights below.
- Cal MBB vs. Arizona State 2014: A 763-word Q & A with House of Sparky
- Cal football recruiting news: Tre Watson courted by Washington, Garrett Hughes to New Mexico
- Cal Men's Basketball looks to deal with the Sun Devils
- Cal football recruiting commit: Chandler Leniu, St. John Bosco linebacker
- Golden Nuggets: A look at the personal life that molded Marshawn Lynch