Bovada has released odds on who the next Cal football coach will be. I’m not even certain the final name is on the list (and there are a few names mentioned that you wouldn’t expect). Let’s go through them, shall we?
As of now, here are where the lines sit.
- Justin Wilcox +150: Vegas is pretty confident that Wilcox is the favorite. All the early reports indicate he has a solid lead for the job. He has interviewed and there has been notable interest for awhile.
- Chip Kelly +250: This feels like an action play. Enough people know the name of Chip Kelly, so they’ll bet Chip Kelly to Cal. Don’t get your hopes up here. There hasn’t even been a report of an interview between Chip and Cal. This line is probably low because of the action it’s receiving.
- Jake Spavital +300: At the moment, feels like you could get decent value for this. Spavital is definitely a decent contender for the job. If I were to make a bet on any of these odds, Spav is the one I might lay a little action with.
- Tee Martin +450: There has been no indication that Tee Martin has interviewed for the job other than Bruce Feldman mentioning that Martin is worth an interview, although no one has heard anything about Martin actually being interviewed.
Martin would be ideal for Cal in terms of offensive acumen and being a dynamite recruiter, but I imagine if he wants any head coaching job, it’s his alma mater Tennessee (which could very well open up sooner rather than later). Long-term viability with Martin as the Cal head coach is unlikely. This is not a high value bet at all.
- Les Miles +600: Well, if you like throwing money away, Les is the best bet here. There has been no indication anywhere that Les or Cal are interested in each other.
Jon Wilner posted his own odds. Unfortunately he cannot be your bookie.
Hotline Breakdown of Cal search at this moment : 70% chance its Wilcox, 20% Spavital 10% field— Jon Wilner (@wilnerhotline) January 11, 2017