In four seasons with the Wildcats, Schlegel served primarily as a run blocker and special teams ace. He totaled over 200 snaps on special teams this past season with Kentucky and comes to Cal with one season of college eligibility left, while remaining eligible to play immediately.
“Drew will have the opportunity to help us both on offense and special teams, and he will be a great fit at Cal academically and socially,” Cal head coach Justin Wilcox said. “He will also embrace the role of being a good teammate. We’re happy to have him on board.”
Welcome to the team, Drew!
From his Kentucky biography:
– Played in 24 career games all off the bench during four seasons at Kentucky including all 13 for the first time in his career as a 2019 junior after seeing action in 11 of 13 possible contests during his 2018 sophomore campaign
– The two teams he saw action for combined for an 18-8 overall record and a pair of bowl victories over Penn State at the VRBO Citrus Bowl to cap a 10-3 season in 2018 that tied for the second-most wins in Kentucky history and was the school’s first 10-win campaign since 1977, as well as Virginia Tech in the 2019 Belk Bowl to finish 8-5
– Primary duty was run blocking for an offense that in 2019 led the SEC and ranked fourth in the nation with an average of 278.8 rushing yards per game and was led by the country’s 10th-leading rusher Lynn Bowden Jr. (1468 rushing yards, 112.9 ypg) to follow up on his 2018 campaign when Benny Snell Jr. had ranked 12th nationally (1449 rushing yards, 111.5 ypg)
– Recorded seven career tackles and two kick returns for nine yards as a core special teams’ player
– Had his lone career catch for 12 yards against Florida as a senior
– Named to the Fall SEC Academic Honor Roll in each of his final three campaigns (2017-19)
– A three-year prep starter and team captain at Regis Jesuit HS who combined for 215 tackles in his last two seasons as a 2014 junior and 2015 senior, while picking up career highs of 115 tackles, 83 solo tackles, 16.0 tackles for loss, 5.0 sacks, three interceptions and two defensive touchdowns as a senior