- Cal prepares for a tough battle with Ole Miss.
- This article by Jon Wilner goes into detail on why Berkeley has been such a great fit for Justin Wilcox.
“There’s an anonymity to coach at Cal and being in the Bay Area that suits him perfectly. He’s all about the players. He’s not a self-promoter. He’ll do that (media) stuff, but he views it as a necessary evil.”
Wilcox owns one car — it’s 30 years old — and has taken BART to work during stretches of his tenure in Berkeley.
He’s an avid reader, especially with regard to books on leadership.
And when Wilcox vacations, he vacations: He leaves the country and tunes out.
“He has the best work-life balance of all the coaches I’ve ever worked with,’’ McGraw said.
Which meshes perfectly with the campus culture: It cannot be football and only football for the players.
In order to thrive in Berkeley, they must fit academically and socially.
Same with the head coach.
- Jeff Faraudo explains how Cal can (or cannot) beat Ole Miss.
- Evan Weaver will have a lot of chances to make tackles against the run-heavy Rebels.
- Learn about this epic Cal fan who has only missed seven home games, all in the same season, in 70 years.
- Joanne Boyle’s long fight to bring her adopted daughter to the US is finally over!
- In her final year at Cal, Savannah Rennie is finally at full strength and doing really well for the undefeated Cal Volleyball team.
Beat the Rebels!