The NFL is back, and with it returns Cal in the NFL! Well, the NFL is sort of back. We have officially begun preseason football, and although it can certainly be a bore for football fans, it is a crucial time as many former Cal football players attempt to make an NFL roster for the upcoming season. With that in mind, lets take a look at how our guys have performed so far.
Okay sorry, one more thing before we start. Since there are so many players to cover during the preseason we are just going to go over all of them and not really have a format here. Once the season starts we will go back to last year’s article format.
Okay now we can start.
- Khalfani Muhammad (Broncos) starts us off with a bang as he scored the first touchdown of the NFL season and ended up rushing seven times for 50 yards with four receptions for 24 yards in a win in the Hall of Fame Game against the Falcons. In the first week of the preseason, however, he had much less success, rushing three times for negative four yards.
- Giorgio Tavecchio (Falcons) made a 27-yarder, missed a 54-yarder, and converted his only extra-point try in the Hall of Fame Game against the Broncos. He then converted both of his field goal attempts as well as his only extra-point try against the Dolphins.
- Alex Mack (Falcons) did not play in the Hall of Fame Game, but he did log a bit of playing time in a loss to the Dolphins.
Wake Me Up When The Season Starts
- Tyson Alualu (Steelers) earned a start in a win over the Buccaneers and recorded one tackle.
- C.J. Anderson (Lions) carried the ball once for a gain of two yards.
- Raymond Davison (Chiefs) recorded one tackle in a win over the Bengals.
- Chad Hansen (Texans) caught one pass for a gain of 15 yards in a loss to the Packers.
- Jordan Kunaszyk (Panthers) played and recorded two tackles and a sack in his first NFL action.
- Patrick Laird (Dolphins) carried the ball six times for 24 yards in a win over the Falcons.
- James Looney (Packers) picked up two tackles against the Texans.
- Jordan Veasy (Colts) caught one pass for eight yards.
- Davis Webb (Jets) completed 2/7 passes for 11 yards and had two interceptions in an ugly start to the season.
- Ian Bunting (Bears) caught three passes for a whopping 77 yards in his first NFL action. He did fumble, but it was recovered by the Bears. Either way, it was a great first impression and should help boost his chances in making the Bears roster.
- Devante Downs (Vikings) had a fantastic game in a win over the Saints, recording five total tackles.
- Maurice Harris (Patriots) caught three passes for 27 yards and a touchdown in a blowout win over the Lions.
- Mychal Kendricks (Seahawks) started and recorded four total tackles in a win over the Broncos.
- Stephen Anderson (Patriots), Bryan Anger (Texans), L.P. LaDouceur (Cowboys), Patrick Mekari (Ravens), Mitchell Schwartz (Chiefs), and Nick Sundberg (Redskins) all played but failed to record any stats.
- DNP: Lorenzo Alexander (Bills), Keenan Allen (Chargers), Trevor Davis (Packers), Jared Goff (Rams), DeSean Jackson (Eagles), Marvin Jones Jr. (Lions), Cameron Jordan (Saints), Daniel Lasco (Saints), Brandon Mebane (Chargers), Steven Moore (Ravens), Aaron Rodgers (Packers), Richard Rodgers (Eagles)