Athlon Sports released their bowl projections for 2019.
Do you want the good news first or the bad news?
The good news—they predict the California Golden Bears will be bowl-eligible in 2019!
The bad news—the California Golden Bears will be among seven bowl-eligible teams that exceed the number of spots and thus will be spending December at home.
In classic Berkeley fashion, the Bears will earn a passing grade, but the curve will still result in an F (according to Athlon, of course). The other six teams projected to be stuck in this boat are the Arizona Wildcats (hi Pac-12 neighbor), the Arizona State Sun Devils (hi other Pac-12 neighbor), the Wyoming Cowboys, the Middle Tennessee Blue Raiders (hi Tony Franklin), the Liberty Flames, and the Eastern Michigan Eagles.
Here’s a list of the bowl games with Pac-12 tie-ins and the non-Cal teams that are being predicted to play in them:
- Las Vegas Bowl: Stanfurd Cardinal vs. Boise State Broncos
- Holiday Bowl: Iowa Hawkeyes vs. Oregon Ducks
- Cheez-Int Bowl: Baylor Bears vs. USC Trojans
- Redbox Bowl: Minnesota Golden Gophers vs. Washington State Cougars for all the pirate ship–based jokes
- Sun Bowl: Florida State Seminoles vs. UC Los Angeles Bruins
- Alamo Bowl: Texas Longhorns vs. Utah Utes
- Rose Bowl: Ohio State Buckeyes vs. Washington Huskies
That’s a whopping 10 Pac-12 teams projected to be bowl-eligible. Sorry to the Oregon State Beavers and the Colorado Buffaloes. From Athlon. They were the ones who wrote this.
I already know that half of the comments will be “lol Athlon” (with the other half being exposition on how projections don’t matter) so instead, let’s discuss which bowl you think the Bears will make in 2019—objectively, so leave your homer goggles at the keyboard.
Which bowl will the Bears make for the 2019 season?
This poll is closed
No bowl after failing to reach six wins
No bowl despite being bowl-eligible
An at-large bowl
Las Vegas Bowl
College Football Playoff