This version is edited to just include Wilcox’s portions.
- Check out this recap of Wilcox’s press conference from Golden Bear Report.
In addition, Cal will have Beau Baldwin, who was named the head coach at Cal Poly yesterday, around for the bowl practices post-signing day. The search for Baldwin’s replacement has already started, though there’s no timetable for a new hire
”We’re excited to have him finish out the season,” Wilcox noted, “and I know he is as well, we certainly appreciate Beau, who he is and what he’s done, we’ve had some circumstances on that side of the ball which haven’t always been easy, but he did an excellent job as a member of our and coaching our players and we couldn’t be more happy for him. As far as naming a replacement, we’ll name him at the appropriate time, that won’t be today. There are initial discussions that have started, but I won’t talk much more about it until we’re ready to name somebody, and there won’t be a timeline on that.”
- Lovie Smith had high praise for Evan Weaver.
- Check out these new pinstripe uniforms Cal baseball will be wearing this year! Brandon McIlwain is the model for this one.
- The Cal Baseball schedule will feature a home-and-home with San Francisco and the return of a non-conference game against Stanford. If you like traveling, there is also an opportunity to see the team play the really good UC Santa Barbara squad at their place right after the season opens with a weekend set at Long Beach State. The home opener is February 21 with a weekend set against St. Johns. There is also a weekend non-conference series at home against Michigan.
- Softball announced their schedule as well. The Levine-Fricke Field renovation will be postponed till after the 2020 season so there will be more games played in the classic stadium. The only home games this year appear to be in Pac-12 play (plus a late weekend date with Saint Mary’s), but there are road trips at local stadiums in Sacramento, Davis, Stockton, and Moraga. You could also see them in Fresno and Southern California for early season tournaments. The season begins on February 6 in Miami.