As expected, Ross Bowers returns to helm the Cal offense after an offseason where HC Wilcox called it an open competition for the position. The list does not contain all the possible contributors on the team, which is a mighty good problem to have, so don’t be surprised if a name not on this list makes a big play on Saturday.
Also, Jordan Kunaszyk and Patrick Laird were named captains of the football season for the 2018 season.
The 2018 season-long team captains! #EarnIt pic.twitter.com/Mc0SFDdF8B— Cal Football (@CalFootball) August 28, 2018
Also Johnny Adams Jr. is out for the season with a lower body injury.
Cal head football coach Justin Wilcox said Patrick Laird and Jordan Kunaszyk were selected captains by their teammates, and freshman running back Johnny Adams Jr. is out for the season with a lower-body injury.— Rusty Simmons (@Rusty_SFChron) August 28, 2018
Some movements and notes:
- Mike Saffell moved to start at RG with Valentino Daltoso moving to LG and Kamryn Bennett in as a back-up RT.
- Walk-on out of Laney CC, Marcel Dancey to back-up Patrick Laird alongside Derrick Clark. However we expect all 5 listed RBs to contribute. Biaggio Ali-Walsh is not listed at RB.
- With the medical retirement of Gerran Brown, Evan Weaver is promoted to MLB1 as the Mike. Derron Brown is not listed at the LB position.
- TE convert, Ben Moos, to back-up Alex Funchess as the SAM OLB, as well as Josepth Oguntanjo.
- Evan Rambo returns to the roster as the Strong Safety back-up to Jaylinn Hawkins.
- Greg Thomas seems to have won the battle against Gabe Siemieniec (Note: it looks like I am the only member of the Cal media capable of pronouncing his last name).
See the depth chart file here:
2018-08-27 Cal Football Depth Chart.pdf
Note: disregard the “Spring football game” on the header.