Back from from a vacation in Colorado, I have some catching up to do. Looks like I have nearly 30 articles to post... so this is going to be large one folks with no block quotes. There won’t be a post on Sunday either due to a 5am work shift (and out all day Saturday) so... here’s a ton of reading material to get you by until Tuesday.
- Jordan Kunaszyk spent winter break in Mexico where he did some charity work. Find out how that inspired him to be a leader of the Cal defense.
- Cal’s official website recaps Media Day.
- Cal is looking to improve on their 5-7 record, but still have a lot of questions that need answers going into camp.
- One of those questions is how do the Bears replace Taariq Johnson? Shannon Carroll tries to answer that.
- Best and worst case scenarios for the Pac-12 North.
- From walk-on to starter, the Bears are looking at Patrick Laird to do great things this season.
- Carroll also does a nice roundup of several college websites’ bowl predictions. Bears are predicted by some to go to the Cactus Bowl, some say the Vegas Bowl, and some don’t have the Bears at all in their projections.
- Justin Wilcox still won’t declare Ross Bowers the starter for this season.
- Nam and Trace name their predictions for this year’s breakout guy, comeback kid, and more!
- Six newcomers to look out for on the Cal team.
- Find out why Kyle Smith chose Cal. Also find out why Curley Young Jr. did the same.
- Nick Sundberg is helping DC schools get washers and dryers.
- The Summer Strength series is now on Week 4!
- The Daily Cal recaps Ryan Anderson’s most recent NBA season.
- Men’s Tennis players Can Kaya and Jack Molloy were named ITA Scholar Athletes, as were women’s players Anna Bright, Vivian Glozman, Alexis Nelson and Karla Popovic. This means they earned a 3.5 GPA among other things.
- Women’s gymnasts Arianna Robinson and Nina Schank were named Scholastic All-Americans by the WCGA. This too required at least a 3.5 GPA.
- Men’s Golf players Sebastian Crampton, Ben Doyle and Collin Morikawa were named All-America Scholars by the Golf Coaches Association of America. This required a 3.2+ GPA and also good play throughout the season.
- Kyle Maspat will transfer from UC Santa Barbara to Cal and will have three years of eligibility for the Men’s Golf team.
- Former lacrosse head coach Denise Wescott will be an assistant coach for the Cal women’s lacrosse team.
- Women’s Soccer begin camp! Their first game is a little more than two weeks from now. Learn more about the roster, including who they think will replace star goalie Emily Boyd.
- A few Cal student athletes, including football’s Evan Rambo, participated in the Sports Tech Collider Sprint during the spring. Find out what that is and how their experiences were here.
- Teya Neff unfortunately didn’t get to play in her final season of Beach Volleyball at Cal after an accident, but she embraced her new role as a team manager and leader.
- Learn more about the journey of Track’s Asha Culhane-Husain in Berkeley and Ireland.
- You’ve seen me mention him before and maybe found his name a little hard to pronounce. But the recently graduated Men’s Crew athlete Natan Wegrzycki-Szymczyk (its Polish) is more than just a name his peers can’t pronounce, he was/is a phenomenal player.