- Cal Athletics has announced the 10-member Hall of Fame Class of 2018. Congrats to Duje Draganja (men’s swimming, 2002-05), Ramon Jimenez-Gaona (men’s track & field, 1990-93) , Geoff McArthur (football, 2000-04), Valerie McClain (men’s and women’s rowing, 1978-82), Teri McKeever (women’s swimming & diving head coach, 1992-present), Alysia Montaño (women’s track & field, 2004-08), Leon Powe (men’s basketball, 2004-06), Kristina Thorson (softball, 2003-06), Elsie Windes (women’s water polo, 2004-07), and Joe Starkey (voice of Cal football, 1975-present). They will be enshrined near the end of October, with an on-field celebration at the Cal/UW Football game. More info can be found here.
Unfortunately the Bears were blown out in the Championship game last weekend, but you can still read these two articles about the team that were published on Friday and learn more about the players.
- Learn how multiple De La Salle football grads have thrived on the rugby squad.
- Before he played in his last game on Saturday, Thomas Robles talked to the Daily Cal about his love of skiing.
- Diane Ninemire celebrated 30 years as Cal softball head coach this weekend.
- Aaron Shortridge got this week’s Muscle Milk Student-Athlete-Of-The-Week award after his complete game helped Cal defeat USC last Sunday. Unfortunately the Trojans took the other two games.
- Andrew Vaughn answered some questions on the Pac-12 Network recently.
- Nancy McDaniel, Cal women’s golf head coach (the only one they’ve ever had) had to take a year off (in 2017) as she was battling cancer, but returned this season. This is her story.
- Walter Chun, the men’s head coach, won the Pac-12 Coach of the Year award. Congrats!
- Collin Morikawa is a finalist for the Ben Hogan Award, given to the best male player in college and/or amateur golf. We will find out if he wins the award on May 21.