- Will the Bears pull out some surprises to beat USC? Examples include playing speedy DBs on the field, playing Garbers and McIlwain on the same plays, and of course trick plays. Obviously the team isn’t going to say anything right now or else the Trojans could prepare for it, but its a nice thought.
“I wish there was a play we could call or one player,” Bears head coach Justin Wilcox said. “It’s not usually how it works.”
Wilcox did not dismiss the idea of taking a defensive back and using him on offense, and safety Ashtyn Davis, a former Pac-12 hurdling champion who has shown his big-play potential on kickoff returns, and safety Jaylinn Hawkins, an excellent receiver and punt returner in high school, would be the logical choices.
“It’s not out of the question,” Wilcox said.
Putting quarterbacks Chase Garbers and Brandon McIlwain in the game together might create some intriguing options, given their contrasting skills.
A gadget play could fool a defense and get a quick score if executed effectively.
“Everything is on the table,” Wilcox said.
- Clay Helton has nice things to say about Cal’s defense.
“I’ve always thought that good defenses are built down the middle. When you look at Chris Palmer, Evan Weaver and Ashtyn Davis, that nose, that mike and that free safety are three of the top players in our conference right now,” he said in advance of the teams’ Saturday meeting in Los Angeles. “It’s no wonder you look up and they’re one of the better defenses in our conference.”
- Cal Bears Maven picks the Bears to beat USC. (Won’t link to them since I don’t have time) I checked Athlon Sports, SB Nation and Jon Wilner and they all picked the Trojans to win and cover.
- Not Cal related, Daily Cal’s Rory O’Toole wants helmets removed from football.
- Grant Anticevich talks about his China experience.
“After practice, we went sightseeing in Hangzhou. We went to the Temple of Soul’s Retreat. It was up in the hills and surrounded by forest, so it was beautiful. We spent a lot of time there and took a ton of photos. It was really enjoyable.
“We also went for a boat ride on West Lake, which was really fun. It was a really relaxing afternoon. It was a nice, smooth ride. It was a little foggy, but the temperature was really nice. It was nice to sit back and enjoy the scenery with teammates.
- Women’s Golf head coach Nancy McDaniel fights back against breast cancer.
Beat $C (FB)! And Yale (MBB)! And the Oregon schools (VB)! And Penn State (WBB)! And Stanford (MWP, MSOC, MSWIM)! And many more...