clock menu more-arrow no yes mobile

Filed under:

The Wrap: Cal beats UW 12-10

If we were going to pull off an upset this year? This was the way to do it.

Washington v California Photo by Lachlan Cunningham/Getty Images

Q1: Keep it within striking distance.

The only offensive TD in the entire game came on UW’s first drive, but even that came on multiple 3rd-and-long conversions, a 4th-down conversion, and a roughing-the-passer call. The following drive for Cal took 2:22 off the clock and ended with a 23-yard FG by Greg Thomas. UW got the ball back and threw an INT to Camryn Bynum, who read the comeback route on the broken play and made the interception by toe-tapping to make sure he stayed in bounds. Cam said after the game that after the catch he stretched out as much as he possible could to get that foot in bounds. This INT is easily in the conversation “catch” of the season for the Bears.

Cal down 3–7

Q2: Drive. Drive Drive.

The defense started ramping up the pressure and putting the clamps on this UW team—the Huskies had two possessions in the second quarter. The first ended with a punt after converting for one first down; the second was a three-and-out from their own 25-yard line. Cal’s two possessions in this quarter ate up so much clock that they didn't give UW an opportunity to do anything; the two possessions took over 12 minutes and yielded two FGAs, one of which was missed after Coach Petersen iced Greg Thomas with back-to-back timeouts to end the half. The Cal offense could not finish drives strong, but they drove the ball down the field, eating up clock and yards while not turning the ball over.

Cal down 6–7

Q3: Take it away.

The defense of the Bears started having their way with the UW offense—a turnover on downs to start the second half, a punt on the following possession, and a pick-six to end the quarter. Jake Browning was also benched for his back-up and that first play was where the magic happened. Evan Weaver’s pick-six was a thing of beauty—the collective holding of breath after seeing Weaver being tended to by the Cal Medical Staff was the lowest of lows, but Memorial started celebrating again after seeing him walk off the field by himself. Pat Laird told the media after the game that, “if you know Weaver, he’s going to do whatever he can to get into the endzone after making that INT.” The Bears went for two points being up five after Weaver’s score, but could not convert the RPO in which Chase Garbers outran a backside defender, but couldn’t punch it into the corner.

Cal led 12–7.

Q4: Ice it.

After four collective punts by the Bears and Huskies, UW drove down the field and knocked in a 26-yard FG with 4 minutes and 51 seconds left on the clock. Cal would need two or three first downs in order to ice the game. UW was down to one TO, so their defense needed a stop early in the game clock.

Garbers 3-yard rush.

Garbers 3-yard rush.

Garbers to Laird for 4 yards. First down Bears.

Garbers to Wharton for 6 yards.

Laird 6-yard rush. First down Bears.

Laird 4-yard rush. TO UW. 1:28 left in the game

Laird 4-yard rush. TO Cal. 0:42 left in the game

Garbers bootleg run for a loss of 3. Under the play clock.

Cal won 12–10.