- Here are some quotes and video from Cal players and coaches in response to Saturday’s game against Weber State. Credit for videos goes to Trace Travers of Rivals/Golden Bear Report. Quotes are thanks to Ryan Gorcey of Scout/Bear Territory.
Players seemed hungry to get back at it after the game on Saturday. Did you get a sense of that today: "Yes, absolutely. We talked about it in the meetings. There were a lot of guys. They're off on Sundays, but there was a lot of guys crawling around, kind of watching video on their own. They really came into the meetings today with an open heart, and there were some really good things on the tape. You want to show those, too. We had a lot of positives. The amount of unforced errors, whether it was a technique breakdown, or a communication breakdown, you've got to give the other team credit, they did a nice job, but we felt like there was just way too many things that we had that were controllable for us that we slipped up on. There wasn't one common theme as to why. If there were, it'd be a lot easier to coach that, but kind of, position by position, there were certain things, and a couple groups had more than others."
Have you watched any of the tape of UT-Martin against Ole Miss: "We've gone over it a little bit."
Their back was a bit shorter than you, but similar high school resumé and overall, a similar frame. What did you notice about the runs against Ole Miss: "There's going to be opportunities to make some plays, and I think their D-line and their front seven are really good. We're just going to prepare."
Obviously it's a huge jump from an FCS to an SEC defense. is it the size and the speed that strikes you, or is it the scheme: "The FCS level, those are scholarship players, too, and there's a lot of good players on Weber State. They were super physical. Again, we play our defense, we've been playing our own defense the last month and a half, so we'll be ready."
- As always, Nam’s weekly novels are worth your time. Here is his Novel for Weber State.
- Andrew Wild of Daily Cal says it might be time to “flip the calendar” to 2018 if the team “continues to look discombobulated” in the Ole Miss and USC games.
- Jon Wilner wraps up the second full week of Pac-12 action. Cal has a few mentions and it’s understandably negative.
- Despite barely beating a FCS team, ESPN keeps Cal at No. 9 in their Power Rankings, exactly where they were last week (and where they are in our own rankings...)
- Daily Cal’s preview of the upcoming Women’s Golf campaign.
- Cal junior Collin Morikawa competed with Team USA in the Walker Cup last weekend and contributed to the team winning a match against Great Britain & Ireland by winning all four of his matches. (A rare feat) Congrats! Recap here.
- Andrew Wild says that the nation has been “put on notice” by Cal’s sweep of the Rice Invitational in Houston last weekend. The team is now 8-1 and can boost up their record with a few more non-conference games before the gauntlet of Pac-12 play starts.
- After Cal’s successful weekend, Mima Mirkovic has been named Pac-12 freshman of the week! The outside hitter had double digit kills in every game of the weekend, and had some pivotal kills and a save late in the match-deciding set win over Rice.