Bears in the Pros
- Want to make a ton of money? Well, you should have been a Cal football player at a skilled position. Cal’s 19 position players in the NFL make a combined $75 million. Aaron Rodgers tops the list with $22 million. The list doesn’t even include Marshawn Lynch (possibly because contract details aren’t out yet) or offensive line players like Alex Mack.
- Byeong Hun An and Joel Stalter will represent Cal in the Golf US Open. Eight other Cal students and alumni participated in the qualifiers but fell short. Alumnus An will make his third straight appearance and this is alumnus Stalter’s first time.
- Several men’s swimmers from Cal, including Ryan Murphy, Nathan Adrian and Long Gutierrez, participated in a pro meet in Santa Clara last weekend.
- As stated on Sunday’s Golden Nuggets. The task force reports was near. Now it is here. As I stated, no sports recommendations were in the report (and noted that the savings from cutting sports may not be enough to offset the loss of donations and moral support), but that doesn’t mean it won’t happen because they still found that the “status quo” is “unsustainable” and I’m pretty sure they mean the number of sports programs. Expect more coverage of this elsewhere on Golden Blogs.
- RECAPS: East Bay Times (Wilner, probably the most in-depth that I saw) - San Francisco Chronicle (Simmons) - Scout/Bear Territory (Gorcey)
- Trace Travers has his take on the new Under Armour logos, plus Men’s Basketball and Football recruiting.
- Theo Robertson was a part of the Golden State Warriors organization during the 2015 Championship run. As the Warriors are two wins away from another title, now Cal assistant coach Robertson looks back at that magical Dubs season. (This is a video article).
- I missed this, as this was a while ago, but it looks like Jabari Bird and Ivan Rabb worked out for the Spurs. I can’t find any reports other than this tweet and it doesn’t specify if they worked out at the same time, or even when the workout took place (it may still be happening in the future)
Others #Spurs have/are scheduled to workout:— Spurs Nation (@Spurs_Nation) June 2, 2017
— California G Jabari Bird
— Cal F Ivan Rabb
— Arkansas F Moses Kingsley
- “My San Antonio” scouted Ivan Rabb. It is possible that he would be available for the Spurs 29th pick.
- Paris Austin and Austin McCullough are now officially Bears.
- Congrats to women’s assistant coach Kai Felton. She recently gave birth to Weston Avery Jackson-Felton.
Baby Bear #2 arrived early this morning!— Cal Basketball (@CalWBBall) June 5, 2017
Welcome to the world, Weston & congrats to Coach Kai & Takiyah! pic.twitter.com/YyFNZtNthR
- Football: Tyler Shough, who has an offer from Cal, is headed to the Opening finals in Beaverton, which is a showcase of elite high school quarterbacks.
- Indoor women’s Volleyball: Defensive specialist Emma Smith transfers from Hawaii to Cal. The article doesn’t say whether she will have to sit out the 2017 season, but she bolsters another Top 15 recruiting class for the Bears. Later this month the Volleyball schedule will be released.
- Baseball: Lifelong fan Addison Berger will join the Bears in 2019. The right handed pitcher has a grandfather (Robert Mound) who pitched for Cal in the 1960s.