- The task force charged with finding solutions for Cal’s budget crisis will have their report before the end of the month. However, “sources” told Jon Wilner that cutting sports teams (probably) will not be in the report. Unfortunately, that doesn’t mean any sports are in the clear. The new chancellor, Carol Christ, will be in charge of that decision and it is likely she will cut about 10-12 teams “eventually.” (When is “eventually”? Who knows... it’s not until 2032 that the payments for the Memorial Stadium upgrades start to increase dramatically)
- Ryan Gorcey released a video blog with his take on the new Under Armour designs.
- Andrew Vaughn was awarded the Pac-12 Freshman of the Year, as well as an All-Pac-12 selection. He tied with teammate Denis Karas for the most home runs among Pac-12 players with 12, and led all Pac-12 freshman in multiple categories including batting average and RBIs.
- (From the same article): Tanner Dodson, Cameron Eden and Jeffrey Mitchell were named to the All-Pac-12 honorable mention squad.
- Vaughn was also selected to the USA Baseball Collegiate National Team training camp in North Carolina, where he will compete against the Coastal Plains League (another summer collegiate camp) and even some international squads Chinese Taipei and Cuba. The action takes place later this month.
- Trace Travers’s scouting report on new commit Matt Bradley.
- Roger Moute a Bidias will workout with the Lakers tomorrow.
- The SBNation Trailblazers blog “Blazer’s Edge” takes a look at Ivan Rabb (mostly positive).
- Trace’s final football “gradeout”, closing with the special teams.
- Tony Gonzalez and Ron Rivera are on the ballot for the 2018 College Football Hall of Fame class.
Goooooooooooooo Beeeeears (and beers).