- SWEEP! Cal takes all 3 from rival Stanford at Levine-Fricke field. Saturday’s game was a tight 1-0 affair. Sunday saw both teams hit a grand slam but it was Annie Aldrete’s midway through the game that gave Cal a lead they would not relinquish. Finally, on Monday the Bears win was never in doubt (although Furd scored first) as they won 7-1 to complete the sweep. Cal improved to 20-8 and 3-3 in the Pac-12. They will host UC Santa Barbara on Wednesday and Arizona in the weekend and I highly encourage attending their games.
Game 1: Cal 1, Stanford 0
Game 2: Cal 7, Stanford 4
Game 3: Cal 7, Stanford 1
Bonus: apparently Cal Softball ace alum Jolene Henderson visited the team this weekend.
cal softball looking like pic.twitter.com/VZByq7Ra11— Jolene Henderson (@Jolenecal54) March 27, 2017
- Baseball also saw a Cal sweep! ...Unfortunately it was the other way as UCLA took all 3 from Cal in Los Angeles. To add insult to injury, Cal committed SEVEN errors in a 20-0 thrashing on Sunday. The Bears had 4-0 leads in both Games 1 and 2 and blew both. They also lost 3-1 to Long Beach State on Monday night at home. They host Washington State this weekend hoping to turn things around and also deserve your support!
- Several of Cal’s recruits have announced they are staying with Wyking Jones and the Bears. Unfortunately the #1 recruit, Jemarl Baker, has decided to consider other options.
- One of the women’s basketball top recruits, Kianna Smith, will be playing at the McDonalds All-American games on Wednesday.
Track and Field
- The men’s and women’s teams combined for 11 top 3 finishes at the Pac-12/Big 10 challenge in Tempe, including a first place finish by Ashtyn Davis in the Men’s 110-meter hurdles. However, as a team they did not have a solid showing.
- Daily Cal’s Andrew Wild was impressed by how Davis Webb handled his “disappointing” performance at the Cal Pro Day, and still believes he has NFL potential.
- Nick Alftin, defensive end from Archbishop Mitty (and the brother of Christine Alftin of the Cal Volleyball team) had a nice visit to Berkeley on March 18 and just received an offer from Justin Wilcox last week. Trace Travers did a feature on him for Rivals. (Free)
- Another Golden Blogs alumnus, Nam Le, did a feature on newest Cal Football commit and Stanford legacy JH Tevis.
- I’m still in a state of mourning and may not stop moping about the team that got me into football (I may not have become a Cal fan without them) anytime soon, but I appreciated this tweet from Cal Athletics yesterday.
Thanks for reading. Go Bears.