- Yep, unfortunately, last night still happened.
“Obviously, a major major setback today,” Cal head coach Wyking Jones said after the game. “My philosophy has been all year that we try to get better game in and game out. Today we made a major step in the wrong direction. We gotta go back and figure it out.
“We’re young, but we can’t keep using that as an excuse. We have to give better effort than that and we have to figure some things out as a staff of what works and what doesn’t work with this group and just hopefully take this loss and help us go back to the drawing board and get better.”
- Darius McNeill has been a bright spot this season. Learn some facts about him.
1. D Boogie Man
During his high school days, McNeill's nickname D Boogie was born, and it has stuck with him ever since. He's even incorporated the nickname into his twitter handle, @Dboogie_1.
"In a high school game, I made two people fall and people just said 'D Boogie,' and then everybody just kept saying it," McNeill shared.
3. Thunder Up
Growing up in Houston, Texas, McNeill was a big fan of the Oklahoma City Thunder, and their star point guard Russell Westbrook, who he deems his favorite player.
"I like the way he acts, and carries himself," McNeill said. "I like the way he dresses too. I like his style on the court, and off the court."
- It isn’t news that academics is big at Cal... learn how Carmen Annevelink is helping research to find a drug cure for epilepsy.
- Team USA’s Volleyball players remember their best moments from their college careers, including our own Carli Lloyd.
Carli Lloyd (Setter, Bonsall, California, University of California)
“Final Four 2010. Beating USC in the semifinals and earning the right to compete in the finals for the first time in Golden Bear history. This memory is especially lasting because of the events that took place leading up to that match. We had faced SC twice in PAC 10 play and they had beaten us pretty easily both times. When the NCAA tournament was being seeded, my teammates and I were hoping we would get a chance to compete with them again. When that matchup came in the semis we knew we had a gnarly fight ahead of us and we were extremely anxious to get out there after all of the preparation we went through to be ready for it. We ended up playing the best match of the season that night and we beat them in three sets. It was one of the most incredible team efforts I have ever experienced.”
- Learn more about former Beach Volleyball volunteer assistant coach Nicole Walthall, who stepped down recently, and how she became a big part of building the new program.
- Beach Volleyball finished their fall workouts and are ready for the new season.
- Catch up on former Golden Bear Jonathan Klinsmann as he will soon have his Hertha Berlin debut. Apparently, he’s still a student here which is awesome.
- As for current Bears, learn about the various non-soccer skills of junior Sam Ebstein, from “golf to metalworking”.
- The women’s team finished their workouts for the semester and are ready for 2018.
- They also released their schedule which begins in Hawaii on January 20. Notable games include Stanford on March 3 (road), UCLA on March 10 (home) and USC on April 7 (road). Finally, the MPSF tournament will be held in Berkeley at the end of April!
For the sports where I only found one article...
- Men’s Gymnastics announced their 2018 schedule. It begins with the Cal Benefit Cup on Jan. 13 and will also see the Bears have Senior Day against Arizona State and Washington. Of course there’s a bunch of meets against Stanford as well.
- Keenan Allen made NFL history last Sunday... Jared Goff continues to lead the Rams into the playoffs... Marshawn Lynch had a 51-yard TD and had his first 100 yard game as a Raider... plus other Week 13 NFL highlights from former Bears.
- Now for the headliner... not technically sports related but the longtime leader of the Cal Band, Bob Calonico, has announced that he will retire in June. He has led the Cal Band since 1995 and also directs the University Wind Ensemble, who will have their last show with him on April 22. (Shameless plug, I will be participating in that show!) Best of luck!
Stay strong, LA.