Four new Golden Bear rookies are on NFL rosters! Jared Goff, Stephen Anderson, Daniel Lasco and Trevor Davis have joined the ranks of the pro Bears, meaning 24 Cal alum are playing in the pros.
Goff was always going to make the Rams roster, although he still has some work to do to become the starter. It appears Case Keenum will be starting opening week against the San Francisco 49ers. And Goff is third string. I don’t get it.
Three other Golden Bears got the call! Trevor Davis (drafted in the fifth round by Green Bay) hurt his shoulder a week or so ago but that did not keep him from making the Packers 53 man roster.
"Dear God, thank you for another day. Thank you for all that you've done for me. You've always been by my side my whole life. No matter what hard times I've gone through you've always had a plan and brought me through. God I pray that you stay with me, bless those around me, and show me the way. Help me use the platform you've placed me on to inspire and help others. Help kids understand that nothing is impossible; that they CAN get good grades, they CAN fulfill whatever dreams they have no matter how big they are. And lastly God, help guide me everyday to become a better man and father. Lead me God, and I will follow."
Daniel Lasco was picked in the seventh round by the Saints and knew he was in a fight to make the New Orleans roster, but had an outstanding preseason and made the final 53.
Hearing the ones you love overwhelmed with joy and excitement is such a surreal feeling my prayers have been answered... I love all of you!— Daniel Lasco (@DLasco2) September 3, 2016
Just like at Cal, Stephen Anderson didn’t get picked or recruited. He had to walk onto a practice squad and earn his spot. But there he is again, hustling to become a critical contributor to an NFL roster. Anderson made the final 53 for the Houston Texans.
Blessed to be a Houston Texan— Stephen Anderson (@S_Anderson89) September 2, 2016
The Carolina Panthers placed Jordan Rigsbee on injured reserve. His rights will be retained and he will get paid.
Unfortunately, some Golden Bear alum were not so lucky. The most shocking of these developments was the Baltimore Ravens cutting Justin Forsett.
Kenny Lawler also wasn’t retained despite getting picked in the 7th round by the Seahawks. Chris Harper also did not make the Patriots roster.
Bryce Treggs, Darius Powe, Maurice Harris, Kyle Kragen, Stefan McClure and Darius White did not make NFL regular season rosters. There is still a possibility a few of them will make practice squads later on and get paid contracts of some sort, but that won’t be resolved until later in the week.
Cal is projected to have 24 players on NFL rosters! Full list below.
- Lorenzo Alexander, LB, Buffalo Bills
- Keenan Allen, WR, San Diego Chargers
- Tyson Alualu, DE, Jacksonville Jaguars
- Stephen Anderson, TE, Houston Texans
- C.J. Anderson, RB, Denver Broncos
- Bryan Anger, P, Tampa Bay Buccaneers
- Chris Conte, S, Tampa Bay Buccaneers
- Trevor Davis, WR, Green Bay Packers
- Jared Goff, QB, Los Angeles Rams
- DeSean Jackson, WR, Washington Redskins
- Marvin Jones, WR, Detroit Lions
- Cameron Jordan, DE, New Orleans Saints
- Mychal Kendricks, LB, Philadelphia Eagles
- L.P. Ladouceur, LS, Dallas Cowboys
- Daniel Lasco, RB, New Orleans Saints
- Alex Mack, C, Atlanta Falcons
- Brandon Mebane, DT, San Diego Chargers
- Jordan Rigsbee, OT, Carolina Panthers … injured reserve
- Ron Rivera, Carolina Panthers Head Coach
- Aaron Rodgers, QB, Green Bay Packers
- Richard Rodgers, TE, Green Bay Packers
- Richard Rodgers Sr., Carolina Panthers Assistant Defensive Backs/Safeties Coach
- Mitchell Schwartz, OL, Kansas City Chiefs
- Brian Schwenke, C, Tennessee Titans
- Nick Sundberg, LS, Washington Redskins
- Shane Vereen, RB, New York Giants
- Steve Williams, CB, San Diego Chargers