Buried in the media guide at Pac-12 Media Day was an updated depth chart, the first we've seen since before spring practice. The changes are pretty minor, and don't give away any clues about the quarterback situation, but we're starting to get a clearer picture of the roster.
Also not reflected on the new depth chart are the injuries to Griffin Piatt and Damariay Drew.
See the updated PDF below or open it in this link.
A few quick notes here...
- The quarterback competition is a battle of three between grad transfer Davis Webb, Chase Forrest, and Ross Bowers. Vic Viramontes and Max Gilliam are next up and are near locks to redshirt.
- There appears to be a FOUR WAY battle for center. This was originally a race between Addison Ooms and Dominic Granado, but Patrick Mekari made his way into the fray and transfer Jeremiah Stuckey is a looming contender too.
- Junior college transfer Dwayne Wallace and Semisi Uluave seem to be battling to win the right guard spot. Expect the same at left tackle between Aaron Cochran and Vinnie Johnson at left tackle.
- Demetris Robertson starts his Cal career on the depth chart at X. Brandon Singleton, Patrick Worstell, and Vic Wharton will be his competition.
- The other super freshman Melquise Stovall had a strong spring and is currently at the one spot in the Y. Sonny Dykes sounds high on Chad Hansen so expect him to start at the Z. Ditto Ray Hudson at the H.
- Three of the defensive linemen look pretty secure. Expect Tony Mekari and Marcus Manley to battle for the other spot.
- Cal's secondary is deep. Their linebacking corps is not.