The California Golden Bears and the Auburn Tigers are rescheduling their matchup for a few extra years from now. Auburn recently scheduled a home-and-home with Penn State and several Auburn beat writers have learned that the Cal series has been moved a few years down the road. The games are now slated to take place a decade or so from now.
Updated once more, as Auburn's home-and-home series with Cal was completely rescheduled. Now happening in 2023-24 https://t.co/xYFG3VGBV6— Tom Green (@Tomas_Verde) June 27, 2016
Cal will host Auburn September 9, 2023.
Cal will return to Auburn the next year on September 7, 2024.
Cal and Auburn were originally slated for a back-and-forth between 2020 and 2021, so the Bears now have an opening on their schedule both years.
This actually might not be the worst thing, as Cal also is slated to play TCU both years too. This should give Cal the freedom to explore a B-quality mid-major conference opponent from the Mountain West or elsewhere.
Here's the future non-conference schedule for Cal.
- 2016: Hawaii (Australia) on August 27, at San Diego State September 10, Texas September 17
- 2017: at North Carolina on September 2, Weber State September 9th, Ole Miss September 16
- 2018: North Carolina on September 1, at BYU September 8, Idaho State September 15
- 2019: UC Davis on August 31, San Jose State September 14, at Ole Miss September 21
- 2020: TCU on September 5, Cal Poly on September 12. One opening!
- 2021: at TCU on September 11. Two openings!
- 2022: Three openings
- 2023: Auburn on September 9, at San Jose State September 16. One opening
- 2024: at Auburn on September 7. Two openings