All-American, Olympian and national champion are just some of the terms that can be used to describe the eight Golden Bears who have been selected for enshrinement into the Cal Athletic Hall of Fame. The Class of 2015, which will comprise the 30th group of inductees, includes some of the most storied names in school history who have excelled both as student-athletes and in their post-collegiate careers.
Those who have been elected into the Hall are:
- Dan Cholowsky (baseball) - an All-American third baseman who was named team MVP when he led Cal to the regional final of the 1991 NCAA Tournament
- Vicky Galindo (softball) - a 2008 USA Olympian and record-setting third baseman who was a two-time All-American for the Bears in 2004 and '05
- Tony Gonzalez (football / men's basketball) - a star for the Golden Bears in both football and basketball in the mid-1990s who became the greatest tight end in NFL history
- Alan Gresham (men's water polo / men's swimming & diving) - a two-time NCAA Player of the Year in water polo (1983, '84) and the 1985 Pac-10 champion in the 50-yard freestyle
- Mia Jerkov (volleyball) - a two-time All-American in 2002 and '03 and a school-record-holder who elevated the volleyball program into the NCAA Tournament
- Raquel Kops-Jones (women's tennis) - the 2004 Pac-10 singles champion and 2003 NCAA doubles champion who became the first Cal women's tennis player ever ranked No. 1 nationally in singles
- Peter Tomasulo (men's golf) - an All-American and All-America Scholar who led Cal to the 2004 NCAA team championship
- Brian Treggs (football) - helped Cal to a pair of bowl victories and completed his career in 1991 as the Bears' all-time leader in receptions and receiving yards
Formal induction ceremonies are scheduled for Friday, Oct. 30, at the annual Hall of Fame banquet at the Greek Orthodox Church Conference Center in Oakland. Information on tickets to the banquet can be found online at bigcsociety.org. The new inductees will also be honored at halftime of Cal's Oct. 31 football game vs. USC on Kabam Field at California Memorial Stadium.
Tony Gonzalez among the eight Cal Bears inducted into the Hall of Fame