In the aftermath of the Caleb Swanigan disappointment, this figures to get lost in the shuffle, but the Cal Bears did still get a commitment on Friday in the form of Thousand Oaks QB Max Gilliam:
Gilliam was offered moments ago and committed on the spot, hes the 2nd QB in the class for the Bears joining Armani Rogers @RGBearTerritory— Greg Biggins (@GregBiggins) April 10, 2015
- Rivals: 3 stars
- Scout: 3 stars, 47th ranked QB
- 247sports: 3 stars, 32nd ranked Pro-Style QB
- ESPN: NR
Those of you already familiar with the still small 2016 class may notice that this is the second QB being brought in alongside Armani Rogers, a happening with multiple possible interpretations:
- Luke Rubenzer's defensive switch being more of a long-term one. With young Skywalker already adamant about continuing to see the field after playing in 2014 and the depth still murky in the secondary, it looks like he could be suiting up there for more than just this spring.
- Due to so many quarterbacking misses and transfers over the last few years, these recent multi-take classes correct that balance with signalcallers in Franklin's preference. They also serve to further competition, which we know the staff loves at that position.
- Insurance, in case Armani Rogers blows up even further and decommits -- an unlikely occurrence, but a possibility that is protected against a little bit with Gilliam in the fold.