- On the Pac-12 refs: "You guys see the officials every week, so draw your own conclusions. I'm not gonna say anything about it. Pretty obvious."
- On Goff: "We're all frustrated. O should be better. Gotta figure it out and play better."
- On Cal defense: "Played well enough to win. We gave them field position and turned the ball over. Play hard & sound football. Defense let them have a few screens, but overall good."
- On the run game: "Good early in the game. Then a few series where they couldn't get going. Must run to get the QB time & protection"
- On USC: "Not surprised that SC played well b/c great players. Not trying to take anything away from Clay."
- On losing streak: "Winning & losing has to do with whom you play. Schedule is backloaded these 2 yrs. Want to get to the point where we beat good teams"
- On lack of takeaways: "Reduces your margin of error when you can't get takeaways. Probably the biggest difference these past 3 weeks."
- On if teams are playing us differently. "More press coverage, more man. Offense has to execute at a higher level. Zone means lots of grass. Must make plays against man, when there's less grass."
- On establishing the run: "Offense can be explosive when we make big plays. Credit the SC D. Lots of 2 deep, daring Cal to run. We had number advantage in box."
- On Jalen Jefferson: "Jefferson in a sling, but don't know details." Hasn't met with medical staff.
- On moving forward: "Team is disappointed. didn't play well enough vs. UCLA, but vs Utah & USC, we had chances in the 4th quarter. That's the next step."
- "Defense played well. Unfortunately we couldn't score. SC played well."
- On improvement from last week's loss: There's s lot more fire out of us this week. Offensively, defensively...there's a lot more...
- Team is "fine, confidence-wise. Not looking down the road. Focused on Oregon."
- On Lasco coming back: "He did a good job early. Their D made plays and adjusted. They played the run better than they did in the 1st."
- On bad field position: "It doesn't bother our O too much. We practice against our own end zone. We've gone 90, 95 and scored before.
- On having Muhammad & Lasco in same play: "More pass protection and more for USC defense to think about"
- On the interceptions: "First one, I kind of got my hand hit, so it fluttered. I had Bryce open over the middle. They got a piece of my arm on the way out. The second one, I was upset, but I'm not going to talk about why, because I'm not going to talk about the officiating."
- "When there are 2 minutes left, the offense raises its level of play. Defense played great, but offense didn't do enough."
- "Feels good to be back with my team and contribute in different ways, but I'm not there yet. Didn't capitalize on 1-on-1 opportunities"
At end of game, SC "played hard-nosed & have athletes all over the field. O didn't execute. Playcalls were good."
"Don't want to put it on 1 player, like a WR to climb the ladder or Goff. But we have to get the job done."
We must "figure out where our edge is. We had it in beginning of season. We have to make plays."
"It hurts. The seniors and I wanted this game. It's huge for the community, Berkeley, Cal alums. It hurts. To say the least. It really does hurt. Not a good feeling to be here 5 yrs and not beat SC."
"Everything happens for a reason. Great depth at RB means my absence wasn't tremendous b/c others can step up."
I had lots of support from the team. Frustrating to not be 100% and not be able to contribute"
- On his father being there as he caught a TD: "Great honor."
- On offensive woes: "Offense has too much talent to only score 28 per game. In future, can't get ahead of themselves w/ #drop50 or #drop60. Must establish the run game. All good teams can run. Then make plays"
- On missing opportunities: "We had shots, but just didn't take as many as we should have."
- On man coverage: "We know that means Goff has more pressure, so we focused this week on getting open quick."
- On moving forward: "Comes down to senior leadership. We can sulk or move on. Tomorrow, we come back to work."
Stefan McClure & Hardy Nickerson
- Hardy on 3rd down play: "We had him. I tripped, dove, and missed. These are the kinds of plays you have to make."
- McClure on 1st down: "We have to see how we did on 1st downs and 3rd downs. Have to limit 1st down plays to < 2 yards."
- McClure on the offensive struggles: "We have to get takeaways so the offense can get rhythm and make big plays. That helps the defense with energy."
- Hardy on the future: "We can turn things around. Have to look at film and prep for ORegon. Excited to face Ducks. Should be a game we can get."