Ryan Gorcey and Cal Rivals have confirmed that three Bears have sustained injuries, two of whom will be out for the year as a result.
Knew that looked like more than a sore knee for Broussard. Dykes confirms he's out for the year with ACL injury, as is Tartabull. #Cal— Cal Rivals (@CalRivals) August 14, 2014
2 recap: Broussard and Tartabull DFY with ACL surgeries, RB Coprich out 4-8wks with small broken bone in foot. @GoldenBlogs— Ryan Gorcey (@RGBearTerritory) August 14, 2014
RB Jeffrey Coprich was one of our veterans at that position, but hopefully we've got enough depth with Khalfani Muhammad, Daniel Lasco, and some of our talented freshmen (Vic Enwere and Tre Watson) that we'll be all right if Coprich takes the next few weeks off.
S Quentin Tartabull was previously named by Coach Dykes and our intrepid reporter Nam as being a freshman with the potential for earning play time in 2014 and could have helped provide critical depth to the secondary, especially against some of the pass-happy teams in the Pac-12
LB Nathan Broussard has been a surprising star so far; coupled with our stunning lack of depth at LB, this is a worrisome and particularly unfortunate development. With Broussard out, Nam projects Devante Downs is the most likely to step up and fill that space.
Maybe I'm a little jumpy after the injury epidemics of 2013 (and, to a lesser extent, 2012), but let's hope this isn't an ominous sign of things to come.
- Cal Football schedules 2017, 2018 home-and-home series with UNC
- Golden Scholars: Berkeley shows how hots will make you live longer and the proven methodology of business jargon
- Cal football, the Rose Bowl, and how the playoff changes things
- Cal football fall camp 2014: August 12th practice report
- Golden Nuggets: Missy Franklin and Roser Tarrago lead an aquatic attack of Bears; Stefan McClure is back in action