It's the offseason for football, meaning we need to inject some kind of football into our life. So let's start planning out fantasy team!
WR Keenan Allen's stunning rookie-year production has made him an attractive candidate for a second WR for your team. Let's review 2013 for the Bear:
By Week 5, however, he exploded, transforming into Philip Rivers' weapon of choice and certifiable WR1 in 12-team leagues. From that point on he cracked the top-10 among WRs in PPR and standard settings compiling 63 receptions, 936 yards and eight touchdowns, many of those catches of the dazzling variety.
Overall, Allen operated as a near elite performer, stunning when weighing his inexperience and early physical obstacles. According to Pro Football focus, he ranked top-13 at his position in drop rate (12), yards per route run (13) and WR rating (4). In the latter category, only DeSean Jackson, Demaryius Thomas and Anquan Boldin were more efficient.
Two of the top receivers being Cal products? Awesome.
So, why exactly is this article recommending Allen?
To avoid a sophomore slump, Allen has worked diligently this offseason improving his speed and separation downfield. Last year, on caught only two passes beyond 20 yards. He's far from an athletic freak like Julio Jones, but his reliable hands and smooth routes are high-end qualities and the reason why he can be trusted as a WR1.
Yahoo decided to criticize RB Marshawn Lynch for the golf swing he displayed at a fundraiser for his Fam 1st Foundation for at-risk youth. Because they're definitely getting the point of the event. He was also asked about his attendance at training camp and he gave the exact answer you'd expect. Also, Lynch will be baring it all for ESPN's Body Issue. Pre-order now!
- A fantastic look at Alec Gletzer and his strive to succeed at "the Cal level" in Rugby and as a double major, echoing the motto of Men's Basketball's Jorge Gutierrez
- Justin Taillole and Dylan Serrano discuss the happenings and the going-ons at the 2014 FIFA World Cup
- Brandon Hagy and Joël Stalter continue to rack up the postseason honors as the two were named to the 2014 All-Nicklaus Team
- Coach Steve Desimone discusses the honor of coaching Team USA in the Palmer Cup, where he'll be reunited with Hagy who will be playing there in one of his final amateur games
- Calumna Raquel Kops-Jones will be playing doubles at Wimbledon
Good luck to Cal alum Raquel Kops-Jones & partner Abigail Spears who open doubles Thursday at Wimbledon vs Broady/Daniilidou (10:30 am PT)!— Cal Women's Tennis (@CalWomensTennis) June 26, 2014
- Calumnus Ben McLachlan is enjoying professional success in Japan, currently playing in a singles tournament in Sapporo after previously reaching the doubles finals and singles semifinals of the Showanomori Open Tennis Tournament in Akishima
- Phil Steele's patented analysis of returning experience places Cal at 36th nationally and 3rd in the Pac-12
- BREAKING NEWS!!! Jared Goff is moving to outside wide receivers!! omgomgomg
- That'll ruin this ESPN article, which says Goff would put us in "good shape" at QB
- We're not only a mere "we'll see" at RB, but we're second only to UW in terms of being most questionable here
- Apparently no one hit a ball at some baseball game and Coach Sonny Dykes and Oski were there to witness it
- Golden Scholars: Berkeley professors aim to assuage public fears of radiation and evaluate the efficacy of online ads
- A closer look at Ryan Gibson
- Golden Nuggets: How do Pac-12 experts rank Memorial Stadium among the conference?
- Cal Baseball's Continued Mediocrity: How Did We Get Here?
- Support Cal WBB's charity drive!