Talk about a wonderful late surprise. Cal has landed a solid defensive recruit in the waning hours before National Signing Day! And even better, it's a local prospect too. And even better, it's yet ANOTHER Northwestern recruit!
Sonny Dykes and company have managed to flip San Mateo (Ca.) Junipero Serra athlete Hamilton Anoa'i from Northwestern to Cal.
Anoa'i flew a bit under the radar this season. He has only two offers from Nevada and Northwestern, with the Wildcats offering in late December. The big issue with Anoa'i was that he was injured his junior season so he didn't receive many early offers, but he did play most of his senior season at multiple positions. At 6'2 and 220 pounds, he played not just linebacker but safety, wide receiver and tight end.
Anoa’i led Serra to a West Catholic Athletic League co-title and the only Central Coast Section Open title in school history with a banner season on both sides of the ball. As a 6-foot-2, 225-pound receiver, he caught 26 passes for 516 yards and 10 touchdowns. In two victories against Mitty, he had a total of four touchdown catches, including three in the WCAL finale against the Monarchs.
Anoa’i battled injuries during his varsity career at Serra following an ACL injury in the league opener in 2012 against Mitty. Despite Anoa’i’s stellar effort, he was never at full strength during the 2013 season.
This is the third Northwestern recruit that Cal has flipped in the last two years. Cal did it with Ray Davison last season and with Noah Westerfield just weeks ago. Wonder if that will make Pat Fitzgerald dance even more on the sideline opening weekend.
Here are the video highlights courtesy of Hudl, and here are the rankings:
- ESPN: Three stars, 41st best outside linebacker, 47th best California recruit
- Rivals: Three stars
- Scout: Three stars, 120th best outside linebacker
- 247Sports: Three stars, 100th best outside linebacker, 134th best California recruit
- Greg Burns reportedly the new Cal defensive backs coach
- Joe Mixon wanted Sonny Dykes to dump the Bear Raid
- National Signing Day 2014, Cal recruiting preview: Marcus Griffin, Nifae Lealao to decide
- Golden Nuggets: How's Cal's incoming recruiting class shaping up?
- Cal Defeats Arizona Photo Essay 2: The Photo Essaying!