At this week's press conference, the team discussed their Wednesday night game against the Cougs.
Coach Montgomery on WSU- "They have Lacey back... you add back their leading scorer... they have been good at home, they will be fired up."— Cal Men's Basketball (@CalMensBBall) February 10, 2014
Montgomery described the approach that he's taking with leading the team.
Coach Montgomery- "We are trying to make it fun, have a lot of competitive stuff."— Cal Men's Basketball (@CalMensBBall) February 10, 2014
Monty then chatted about some of our individual players, including freshmen Jabari Bird and Kameron Rooks.
Coach Montgomery on Bird "He is such a quality kid, we just need to encourage him to work hard and stick in there"— Cal Men's Basketball (@CalMensBBall) February 10, 2014
Coach Montgomery on Rooks- "He is improving every day... he is working hard on it... I think he is doing great."— Cal Men's Basketball (@CalMensBBall) February 10, 2014
Speaking of Rooks, the seven-foot freshman had some mic time of his own to discuss his goals with the team.
Cameron Rooks-"When playing I focus on playing as hard as I can and getting rebounds. If I can score I will but I am focused on rebounding."— Cal Men's Basketball (@CalMensBBall) February 10, 2014
Cameron Rooks on being a crowd favorite- "I don't score a lot, so when I do the fans go crazy."— Cal Men's Basketball (@CalMensBBall) February 10, 2014
Rooks and Ricky Kreklow joked about losing weight as a student-athlete and the hardships of travel as a tall basketball player.
Kameron Rooks: "I talk to my dad everyday, after games... He is the first one I go to talk to, he always tells me to stay patient."— Cal Men's Basketball (@CalMensBBall) February 10, 2014
Kameron Rooks: "I want to be an All-Pac-12 big man. I want to win a championship with this team."— Cal Men's Basketball (@CalMensBBall) February 10, 2014
And a big congratulations to Coach Jack Clark, who will be inducted into the US Rugby Hall of Fame, and deservedly so. Check out that link for some more quotes from prominent individuals sharing their opinions on Clark, like our Athletic Director, Sandy Barbour. And if you haven't already read Lindsay Brauner's stellar piece, Known By His Deeds, check it out for a closer look at the Cal legend.
"Jack Clark is very deserving of this recognition as he has been a loyal, devoted and tireless leader and educator who continues to make his University proud with the ongoing success, on and off the pitch, of the Cal varsity rugby program," said Cal Director of Athletics Sandy Barbour. "His success has been unmatched in collegiate athletics, and his student-athletes carry the Cal rugby ethos that he instills to achieve greatness in their post-collegiate careers as vibrant contributors to the global community. His stewardship of the oldest intercollegiate sport on our campus has been unparalleled. We are extremely proud of coach Clark's induction into the Hall of Fame and congratulate him on his past and future success and contribution to this proud community."
- One last look at the great performances by all the Calympians of the 2012 Summer Games:
Track and Field
- Some more players have decided to join the University of California: Paul Sacedo, a final addition to the incoming '14 class, and goalkeeper Jonathan Klinsmann ('15), son of Jurgen Klinsmann, the coach of the US Men's National Team
I have verbally committed to the University of California, Berkeley today! Can't wait what the future holds! #GoBears pic.twitter.com/4DyMVPudmG— Jonathan Klinsmann (@jonklinsmann) February 11, 2014
- No. 8 Cal lost to no. 10 Duke in the semifinals of the ITA National Women's Team Indoor Championships
- No. 23/22 Cal finishes a sweep of the state of Washington with a convincing win over the Cougars (coverage by CalBears.com, SFGate)
Gennifer Brandon is now @CalWBBall All-Time Career Rebounder, with 1,130 Boards. Incredible! @GennyB_25 http://t.co/8gFpnQxbRV— Leslie Mitchell (@Lesmitch529) February 10, 2014
- Reshanda Gray was named the Pac-12 Player of the Week for her performances in these games, where she passed the 1,000-point career milestone
- It's time for the Alumnae Game!
The 2014 @CalWBBall Alumnae Reunion is Sunday (Feb. 16) at 4pm! RSVP with Meagan Edwards at firstname.lastname@example.org! pic.twitter.com/4eGd16RwO3— Cal Basketball (@CalWBBall) February 11, 2014
Men's Swimming and Diving
- The team discusses their road meets at CSU Bakersfield and USC
- A public vigil will be held on Wednesday to remember Ted Agu
The Feb. 12 #TedAgu vigil will be from 7-8 PM, on the Lisa and Douglas Goldman Plaza, Stadium gates 3-5 will open @ 6pm.— Ryan Gorcey (@RGBearTerritory) February 10, 2014
- ESPN's Pac-12 Blog recognized WR Chris Harper for his performance in a loss to Washington State.
- Listen to Marshawn Lynch on the sidelines of the Super Bowl:
- Bracketology 2014: Cal basketball bubble watch is strong
- Golden Recruiting Wire: Evaluating Josh Rosen & Brady White
- Ted Agu candlelight service this Wednesday night at Memorial Stadium
- This week in the Pac-12: Contenders and pretenders
- Cal football recruiting 2015: Josh Rosen, Brady White, Kevin Dillman among our QB targets
- The Ongoing Struggle To Pay Off The Stadium Debt: Q1 Of FY2014 Update
- Donate to the Ted Agu Memorial Fund