Who's ready for gameday? Hopefully, against an FCS opponent, we should be on our way to hearing Palms of Victory, right?
Kevin Gemmell: If you can hang at home against a top-25 team while using a true freshman quarterback, you can beat an FCS team. Jared Goff showed some mettle and should continue to improve. Cal 35, Portland State 13.
Ted Miller: I feel comfortable my Cal jinx will take the weekend off. Maybe. Cal 44, Portland State 20.
... Oh. Thanks for that voodoo, Ted.
Evidently they're not alone as Athlon Sports has the Vikings as pretty big underdogs:
Portland State (+27.5) at Cal (5 p.m., Pac-12 Network)
Sure, the Bears allowed 508 yards of offense and 44 points in the Week 1 loss to Northwestern. But there was plenty to like about Sonny Dykes' debut in Berkeley, namely quarterback Jared Goff. This team has plenty of playmakers but needed a quarterback to make the offense move and Goff delivered in a big way. Portland State should pose little threat and Dykes should get his first win at Cal.
- Steve Birnbaum has been recognized as Player of the Week after his stellar play in the upsets of two ranked teams this weekend
- After that amazing opening weekend, the newly-ranked no. 4/10 Bears are gearing up for a game against San Francisco
Swimming and Diving
- Don't forget to cheer for your Bears, who are set for some tough matches in the Bluejay Invitational this weekend
- A look at Michelle Neumayr, who has fought two major knee injuries to be a Golden Bear
Men's Water Polo
- Five Golden Bears have been recognized by the National Association of Collegiate Gymnastics Coaches as Scholastic All-Americans
- Let's #StripeMemorial for the Ohio State game!
- DT Coach Barry Sacks really loves coaching at Cal (YouTube)
- SFGate's Know Your Enemy podcast, profiling the Portland State Vikings
- Let's rewind all the way back to 2006 (back when you were only kind of sick of James Blunt's Beautiful) with some footage of our last game against the Vikings (YouTube)
- Checking in on some of the Cal players who got dinged up in Saturday's game. We still haven't heard any updates on all the Wildcats who kept going down. #worried
- Notes from practice and an interview with Freddie Tagaloa
- Profiling quarterback Joey Mahalic, who finished up a career in pro baseball before becoming a Bear Raid signal-caller
- Fast Football on CBS Sports chats with Sonny Dykes to discuss the Northwestern loss and how the NCAA can adjust to accusations of faked injuries
- The midwesterners of Ohio State should be ecstatic at the opportunity to visit a city as unique as Berkeley
- Deadspin has the Golden Bears ranked 65th out of 125, which is up from 88th the week before, thanks to a strong performance against Northwestern
- Wilner grades our performance against Northwestern
- The fantastic pre-game motivational that was used prior to the Northwestern game