All the talk about LB Nick Forbes this fall has been discussing how much we needed him in this game, how he would have made the play to make the TD-saving tackle, or how much better we'll be when he recovers from his back injury.
While those are all true and while Forbes has been using this rehab to refocus on his passion for the game, the most important talk about Forbes has been focused on all of his contributions to his community--Forbes was named as a member of the 2013 Allstate AFCA Good Works Team for his selflessness.
- Forbes has done volunteer work for Children's Hospital & Research Center Oakland, City of Berkeley, Playworks, Read Across America, SAGE Mentorship Project and Swim with Mike.
- He has been the vice president of the Golden Bear Student-Athlete Advisory Committee (GBAC) since 2011 and has represented Cal at both the Pac-12 Student-Athlete Advisory Conference and the NCAA APPLE Conference.
- In addition, Forbes has been a speaker at a local elementary school and to youth football teams speaking on the importance of education, respect, treating others right and staying out of trouble. He even found time to host Cal's Oski Student Awards show in the spring of 2013 and organized both a fashion show fundraiser and a student-athlete formal earlier this year.
Please take a minute--take a minute every day if you can--to recognize Forbes for being the model Cal representative by voting for him as the Team Captain of the Good Works team.
- Field hockey star Rachelle Comeau used her frustration at a loss to Stanfurd in the semifinals of the NorPac Tournament to motivate her to join her sister Taylor and the soccer team
- Ever wanted a tour of Memorial and the Simpson High Performance Center?
- More on the excellent academic performances of our student-athletes
— Sandy Barbour (@gobearsAD) September 18, 2013— Sandy Barbour (@gobearsAD) September 18, 2013— Sandy Barbour (@gobearsAD) September 18, 2013
- Cal will looks for a strong finish to their nonconference schedule tonight against UC Davis
- Adrienne Gehan discusses her positive outlook after their first loss of the season to Kansas State
- Gehan wants to teach you the importance of passing in volleyball in this video
- It's never too early to express your hate for Stanfurd! Time to face the eighth-ranked Furdies to start the NorPac season.
Men's Swimming and Diving
- No. 12/17 Cal has two big Bay Area rivalry games this weekend against St. Mary's and no. 22/13 Santa Clara--their first ranked opponent this season
Men's Water Polo
- Don't forget to vote for Bryce Treggs or Chris Harper ("and," if possible...) for the fan vote for the Biletnikoff
- More on the Sonny Dykes's academic turnaround--and how it affected Chris McCain--compared to our time under Jeff Tedford
- Coach Yenser is mic'd up!
- Dykes has active competition battles at some key positions
- The SFGate takes a look at the Bears' problems on defense--and how to fix them
- Uncle Ted put a spin on that same issue--looking at what issues we have and possible solutions
- A pair of video interviews after practice from Dykes and Treggs
- Cincinnati's Beyond the Stripes show, with Marvin Jones (video autoplays)
- Jeff Tedford discusses Aaron Rodgers's mechanics
- Bleacher Report wants to remind you that Rodgers is the best player in the NFL
- Scott Fujita answers the question: Would he let his child play football?