The debut of the Bear Raid looked a little bit more like an air raid, with head coach Sonny Dykes and offensive coordinator Tony Franklin calling for roughly 70% passing plays. Starting quarterback Jared Goff--oh yeah, the guy's just a freshman--responded by getting a early start on writing his name in the record books.
"I thought we played well throughout the game," said Goff, whose passing total is an all-time high for a Cal freshman and ranks second in school history for a single game. "It was disappointing at the end to come up a little short. I thought we played pretty great throughout the game. That's why it's so disappointing."
The 63 attempts by Goff are a school record. Unfortunately, Goff also threw three interceptions. Two of those - both off deflections - were returned for touchdowns by the Wildcats.
- Layshia Clarendon has been getting rave reviews from her teammates and coaches, including some for her Berkeley brains
- The birth of the Cal Soccer Bear Den, a movement to introduce an environment like European soccer fans, with chants and songs for the team
- The men's team upset no. 3 Hoyas in their season opener
- The women's team continues to roll with a victory over Detroit
- If your perfect vacation sounds like watching the Bears while relaxing in Hawaii, then tickets for the EA Sports Maui Invitational will be on sale starting September 3
- The Bears had a successful opening weekend, with wins in the Cal Molten Classic over Nevada and New Mexico State
- Reviewing the game with SFGate, Jeff Faraudo, the AP, and ESPN's Adam Rittenber
- Yahoo Sports weighs in on the great injury debate (No, it is not injurygate or wildcatgate or any other gate.)
- A sneak preview of The Drive will air on the Pac-12 Networks on September 5
- Uncle Ted's Pac-12 bowl predictions aren't looking pretty for the blue and gold
- But he did award Chris Harper with a helmet sticker
- A video of the 49ers preseason where, despite the commentators who aren't particularly enthused, Lavelle Hawkins had an impressive pinball touchdown reception (featuring Sean Cattouse, #40, on the defense)
- It was not a good weekend for Bears on the bubble, as Lavelle Hawkins, Eric Stevens, Sean Cattouse, Marc Anthony were cut from their teams' rosters