TV: Universal Sports
Online: UniversalSports.com (for subscribers only) - The site does allow one about 2 minutes of free stream (which one can repeat in private/incognito mode), which sort of works for watching a swimming race
We are not allowed to post illegitimate stream here, but this event is a big enough deal that you can find streams from the typical sports stream websites
Events for Thursday:
|Women's 100 m freestyle semifinals|
|Men's 200 m individual medley final|
|Women's 200 m breaststroke semifinals|
|Men's 100 m freestyle final|
|Women's 200 m butterfly final|
|Men's 200 m breaststroke semifinals|
|Women's 50 m backstroke final|
|Men's 200 m backstroke semifinals|
|Women's 4x200 m freestyle final|
- Missy Franklin is back in the pool on Thursday and should make the 100 Free semi
- Nathan Adrian (USA), 2012 London Olympics Gold medalist in this event, will defend his title in the 100 Free final
- Rachel Bootsma (USA) will swim in the 50 Free final
- Missy Franklin could do another double on Thursday and swim in the women's 4x200 Free relay final for Team USA
Women's 200 Free Final
The Golden Girl for Team USA, and incoming Cal Bears, got her 3rd Gold in the World Championships. This one was especially special since Franklin finished one one-hundredth of a second out of the podium at the 2012 London games last year.
Men's 50 Breast Final
One one-hundredth of a second out of the podium was the fate for the Slovenian Calympian Damir Dugonjic. "Dugi" got his second 4th place finished (also 4th in 100 Breast). Coincidentally, one one-hundredth of a second was also the winning margin between 1st and 2nd place in this race.
This was a bittersweet meet for me. I had a lot of fun and I'm looking forward to the next meet already. Now I can't wait to see my wife:)— Damir Dugonjic (@iamdugi) July 31, 2013
And thank you again for all the support!— Damir Dugonjic (@iamdugi) July 31, 2013
Best of luck to Dogi in his next meet.
Since Dugi's wife stopped by our open thread on Sunday, he might actually see our comments here at some point.
- Despite a somewhat lackluster prelim swim by his lofty standard, Nathan Adrian (USA) bounced back with the top time in the 100 Free semi. The 2012 Olympic Gold medalist in this event will look to defend his title today.
- Missy Franklin decided to scratch her semi-final berth in 50 Back, her weakest event. Cal Bears Rachel Bootsma (USA) and Stephanie Au (Hong Kong) also qualified for the semi-final with Bootsma making it to today's final.
List of Cal Bears medals in the 2013 Barcelona World Championships:
By events: 3 Golds, 1 Silver, 4 Bronzes
- Lauren Boyle (New Zealand) with a Bronze in 400 Free
- Natalie Coughlin and Missy Franklin with Golds for the US in 4x100 Free relay
- Nathan Adrian and Anthony Ervin with Silvers for US in 4x100 Free relay
- Dana Vollmer (USA) with a Bronze in 100 Fly
- Missy Franklin (USA) with a Gold in 100 Back
- Lauren Boyle (New Zealand) with a Bronze in 1500 Free
- Jessica Hardy (USA) with a Bronze in 100 Breast
- Missy Franklin (USA) with a Gold in 200 Free
- Honorable Mentions: Damir Dugonjic (Slovenia) with two 4th place finish in 50 and 100 Breast, Elizabeth Pelton (USA) with a 4th place finish in 100 Back, and Caitlin Leverenz (USA) with a 5th place finish in 200 IM
Missy Franklin has half of the US's Golds, which is more than any other nation. Cal with medals in 8 events would be in 2nd place, if it is its own nation.