Cal made a point this year to emphasize the importance of giving this holiday season. After splurging and spending so much on Black Friday and Cyber Monday, why not give some time to benefit your community? Cal did just that by participating in Giving Tuesday. For example, Calympian Alysia Montano and other Bears volunteered at Sliver, a Berkeley restaurant that promotes human health and fights human trafficking; linebacker Nick Forbes and Montano joined Bears by spending time with the Boys and Girls Club of Oakland.
A number of Bears took to social media to use unselfies to pledge small acts of kindness they promise to perform, like Women's Basketball's Mikayla Lyles:
.@calwbball Mikayla Lyles show us her #unselfie @GivingTues #BearTracks #GiveToCal pic.twitter.com/V4mERDJNUq— Cal Bears (@CalAthletics) December 3, 2013
For full details on the Golden Bears' participation in Giving Tuesday, there's a great liveblog filled with unselfies of various Golden Bears pledging to help others.
And a quick look at how Cal has kicked off the holiday season with some beautiful blue and gold decorations.
Tis the season #GoBears #CalFootball #falalalala pic.twitter.com/YT8FqZx5zO— Cal Football (@CalFootball) December 4, 2013
- The Student-Athlete Gay-Straight Alliance (SAGSA) pledged to include all student-athletes regardless of their sexual orientation
Men's Water Polo
- Four Golden Bears are on the MPSF All-Conference Team
- An interview with Colin Mulcahy
Women's Swimming and Diving
- Steven Birnbaum is a semifinalist for the MAC Hermann Trophy (soccer's Heisman) and a potential top-10 draft pick
- Cal has three players on the NSCAA All–Pacific Region Team
"@trainfivestar: #ThrowbackThursday #EarnYourStars @alexmorgan13 pic.twitter.com/Evw4ZUeVGf" haha this isn't embarrassing at all...— Alex Morgan (@alexmorgan13) December 5, 2013
- Led by Cal Head Coach Amanda Augustus, Team US won at the Master'U BNP Paribas international collegiate competition
- Getting to know our new field overlords—the Kabam team and their Cal roots (and one with Furdie roots!)
"To be here a decade after graduating, to name the field after my company is such an honor. Extremely humbling moment."Kabam CEO Kevin Chou— Cal Bears (@CalAthletics) December 5, 2013
Kabam will set up an annual scholarship program for Cal students who are studying innovative technology.— Cal Bears (@CalAthletics) December 5, 2013
.@kabam will donate Cal Football tickets to 500 veterans and their families every year.— Cal Bears (@CalAthletics) December 5, 2013
Kabam is in the process of rebranding & will unveil a new logo in the spring. The current logo will NOT be the one seen on the field.— Cal Bears (@CalAthletics) December 5, 2013
- Uncle Ted looks at the worst three teams in an otherwise strong conference—Cal, Colorado, and Utah—and how forcing young players into the game will either result in invaluable experience or shattered confidence
- QB commit Luke Rubenzer continues to impress, being named Gatorade's Arizona Football Player of the Year
- Get updated on the Bears in the Pros