Whatever will we do without news that the academic sky is falling at Cal‽ Is it possible those clowns finally got their act together‽
Eighty percent of this year's new recruits met UC's statewide admission requirements compared with 39 percent in 2011, suggesting a major shift as pressure grew for the prestigious university to require that its football players' brains match their brawn.
"We realized we had a potential problem ... and so we upped the floor," said Richard Rhodes, a linguistics professor who heads the Berkeley Academic Senate's admissions and enrollment committee.
This fall, just 7 percent of the new football players were in an admissions category considered most academically at-risk, which could include applicants with C-minus grades in high school. Between 2009 and 2011, by contrast, between 23 and 39 percent of the new players were seriously underprepared, and more than half fell short of UC's basic statewide admissions standards.
That article is a great read about how things are (hopefully) improving in the classroom with our student-athletes, with some other interesting points about the change in culture here and the admissions committee feeling "blackmailed" by a coach.
After reading that story, scroll on down to stay updated on all the Cal programs and to read all about all of Missy Franklin's awards. All of them! All of the awards!
- A look at the increasing revenue to finance our intercollegiate facilities
- Cal athletes organized and held the Locker Room to Board Room Fashion Show to support the Alameda Food Bank
— Cal Bears (@CalAthletics) December 11, 2013
- While our players are studying, the coaches had a little fun on their own.
— Lindsay Gottlieb (@CalCoachG) December 12, 2013
— Charmin Smith (@21charmin) December 12, 2013
Women's Swimming and Diving
- Missy Franklin is the female athlete with the third greatest impact in 2013. You may recall fellow Calympian Alex Morgan was ranked tenth on this list. (Videos autoplay on all of the links.)
- Franklin was also named the California Muscle Milk Student-Athlete of the Week and the National Freshman Swimmer of the Week. Could her week get any better?
- Let's all forget about 2013 and get ready for 2014 with the Spring Game on Saturday April 26!
- Ted Miller's Power Rankings are here and will definitely make you feel good about the program
- Renew your season tickets early and you may win some utterly dazzling prizes
- Why Keenan Allen deserves to be the Offensive Rookie of the Year
- Seriously. Forget about 2013 with the official 2014 hype video.