Betsy Hassett, who started out playing soccer in New Zealand with her three older brothers, has made quite an impact with Cal Women's Soccer, her team at home, the Ferns, and will now be representing New Zealand in the London Olympic Games this summer. A public health major, she also takes classes in Swahili! Hassett is enjoying the international experience in the US, but misses some of the food she can get back home, like Tim Tams. After the jump, we'll take a look at some footage that will give you a glimpse into the busy life of this Golden Bear.
But now, let's check out her soccer highlights.
From her Cal Athletics profile:
As a Sophomore (2010):
• Played in 15 games, starting 11
• Was the sole Bear on the Pac-10 all-academic second team
• Scored Cal's goal against Duke in the NCAA Tournament game
• Played in the 2011 FIFA Women's World Cup with New Zealand, seeing time in all three games
As a Freshman (2009):
• Played in five games
• Notched a shot versus Nevada
• Played in the Under-20 World Cup over the summer
• Member of the New Zealand squad in 2008 FIFA U20 Women's World Cup
• Played in all three group games including a 4-3 win over host Chile a 1-1 draw with England and a 3-2 loss to Nigeria
• Hassett debuted with the senior national team in a 1-0 win over Argentina on June 16, 2008
Check out videos about Hassett's Football Ferns experience:
And when she went to visit her high school:
According to FIFA, she's already scored 3 international goals! Send your well-wishes to women's soccer player Betsy Hassett by Tweeting @betsyhassett12.