The Bears coaching staff has filled Lupoi's spot with a familiar face in the Pac-12 coaching ranks: Todd Howard.
Jeff Tedford sent out a press release this afternoon.
"I'm excited to have Todd Howard as our defensive line coach," Tedford said. "He has a tremendous amount of experience as both a coach and player at the NFL and collegiate level. We've had an opportunity to play against several of the teams he has coached in the past, and I've always been impressed by the way his defensive line has played. He is also consistent with what we stand for at Cal and will be an excellent mentor to our student-athletes athletically, academically and socially."
"This is an outstanding opportunity for me to work with Jeff Tedford and the Cal football program," Howard said. "Cal teams always play hard and are well coached, and I believe that my coaching experience and knowledge will be an asset to the program. I am familiar with this conference and coaching the defensive line at this level."
In the remainder of this post we will take a look at some of Howard's notable accomplishments and stats.
All stats are courtesy of the aforementioned press release and cfbstats.com
Washington State: 2011
- All Pac-12 2nd Team: Travis Long
- Washington State improved to 157.25 rushing yards allowed per game and 4.40 yards per carry from 221.75 yards per game and 5.61 yards per carry in 2010. The Cougars, however, dropped from 75th in sacks per game in 2010 (1.83) to 95th in 2011 (1.42 ) and from 73rd in TFLs per game (5.83) to 87th (5.00).
- 2010: All Pac-12 Freshmen: Cassius Marsh, Owamagbe Odighizuwa.
- UCLA was 109th in the nation with 205.5 rushing yards allowed per game and 111th with 5.21 yards per carry.
- The Bruins were 71st in the nation in TFLs per game (5.58) and 60th in sacks per game (2.08)
- 2009: Brian Price records a school record 23.5 tackles for loss (he terrorized the Cal O-line in that game) and wins the Pac-10 Player of the Year award. Korey Bosworth and Datone Jones combine for 25.0 tackles for loss.
- The Bruins were 59th in rushing yards per game allowed (142.77) and 63rd in the nation in yards per carry (3.96).
- UCLA was 5th nationally in TFLs per game (8.15) and 53rd in sacks per game (1.92).
- 2008: Price earns 14.0 TFLs and is named to the First Team All-Pac-10 and Sophomore All-America Team. Brigham Harwell earns Second Team All-Pac-10 honors.
- UCLA was 90th in the nation in rushing yards allowed (169.75) and 89th in yards per carry (4.43).
- UCLA was also 73rd in TFLs per game (5.42) and 80th in sacks per game (1.80).
- 2007: Bruce Davis notches 15.5 sacks and a conference-leading 12.0 sacks.
- The Bruins were 14th in the nation in rushing yards allowed (109.15--3rd in the Pac-10) and 11th in yards per carry (3.01--3rd in the conference).
- The Bruins were 5th in TFLs per game (8.23) and 19th in sacks per game (2.92).
- 2006: Justin Hickman and Bruce Davis tied for first in the Pac-10 and fourth nationally with 12.5 sacks.
- UCLA led the Pac-10 in rushing yards per game allowed (91.08--9th in the nation).
- The 12-4 Jags lead the league with fewest rushing TDs allowed (4) and recorded 47.0 sacks (4th)
- Marcus Stroud was a Pro-Bowler in each of Coach Howard's three seasons and John Henderson was an alternate pick for the 2005 Pro Bowl.
- Howard was a defensive assistant for the Super Bowl-winning St Louis Rams in 1999.
- Texas A&M won three Southwest Conference titles from 1991-1993 when Howard was a member of their staff.
- As a player at A&M he was an all-conference player and an honorable mention All-America candidate. He also won a pair of conference titles.