With all the publicity centered around the struggles of the Cal baseball team, the Cal women's softball team has drifted under the radar. But the Bears did have a really great season, and they're going to get a chance to prove their abilities in the NCAA tournament.
Here are the notables, courtesy of CalBears.com.
- 39-10 record, 15-6 in the Pac-10 (second overall), their highest record since 2005.
- 12-6 record against ranked teams.
- They've rode the arm of Jolene Henderson, who's pitched 277 innings in 43 appearances and 31 starts, with an ERA of 0.81.
- They've been led by the hitting of Jamia Reid (.545 slugging %, .428 batting avg., 29 stolen bases), Britt Vonk (.414 batting avg, .514 OBP %, 25 stolen bases), & Jace Williams (.382 batting avg., .485 slugging %, .485 slugging %)
- They managed to accomplish all of this WITHOUT the services of Valerie Arioto (out for the season with leg injury), one of Cal's best sluggers/pitchers last year and big time performer in last year's Regional.
If Cal wins their regional, they'll move on toward another Super Regional for their fourth straight season. After the jump, the schedule for the Louisville Regional (it's unlikely any games will be televised or broadcast).
Friday, May 20
Game 1 - California vs. Jacksonville State - 2 p.m. PT
Game 2 - Louisville vs. Illinois-Chicago - 4:30 p.m. PT
Saturday, May 21
Game 3 - Winners Game 1/Game 2 - 11 a.m. PT
Game 4 - Losers Game 1/Game 2 - 1:30 p.m. PT
Game 5 - Loser Game 3/Winner Game 4 - 4 p.m. PT
Sunday, May 22
Game 6 - Winners Game 3/Game 5 - 11 a.m. PT
Game 7 - If necessary - Rematch of Game 5 - 1:30 p.m. PT