Fill out a report card for yesterday's game!
In a win very similar to the victory against Utah two weeks ago, Maynard managed the Bears to victory thanks to tremendous production from the running game and defense. Tedford was obviously pleased.
On the offensive strategy:
"We were trying to mix it up; not be dependent on one part of the game. I thought our offensive line played great; I thought Isi [Sofele] ran really hard. I thought we played really well up front, which kept us out of third and long, and the chains moving. When you can run the football effectively like we did today, the game is very different. We didn't hurt ourselves with penalties. When you run the ball it makes the flow of the game much better. Isi ran it really well today. The guys up front did a great job controlling the line of scrimmage."
On QB Zach Maynard:
"Every game is different, depending on what the defensive gives you. I thought he managed the game really well and managed the offense efficiently. He didn't turn the ball over a lot, which was key coming into this game. I thought he played really well."
Paul Wulff, however, had the most interesting comment of the day:
On the athleticism of Cal:
"They are the best-looking football team that I have seen in this conference, period. [Oregon head coach] Chip Kelly told me he thought they were as well, after we played [Oregon] last week, because he knew we were playing [Cal] this week. They probably have the best talent, top to bottom."
Ponder that one for a moment...(Kelly has to be trolling, right?)
After the jump Will Kapp gets his much-deserved moment in the spotlight and field hockey defeats Stanford to win the NorPac conference title.
- BearTerritory.net has video from the post-game press conference in addition to a recap.
- CalBears.com has a fun assortment of notes and stats from the game.
- SFGate recaps the game.
- CalBears.com posts a photo gallery.
- SFGate has a photo gallery. #8 is clearly the best photo of the day.
- Maynard, Chris McCain, and David Wilkerson all left the game with injuries. Maynard will be fine, Wilkerson will undergo an MRI this week, and McCain was released from the hospital last night.
- The defense earns another one of Ted Miller's coveted helmet stickers.
- Maynard's job is pretty easy when the running game puts up nearly 300 yards.
- All the players and coaches were thrilled when Will Kapp got the first TD of his career at Cal.
- Want to chat with Keenan Allen? You can on Wednesday at 1pm.
- The men's team came in at 24th in ESPN's preseason power rankings.
- Monty's health continues to improve and he feels great when he gets his rest.
- The Bears defeated Stanford 1-0 in the NorPac Tournament Championship game. This victory earns them the conference crown and a bid to the NCAA Tournament.
- Former Cal ruggers Derek Asbun and Jason Law are trying to become the fourth and fifth Bears in history to earn their Varsity Blues at Oxford. Both are currently pursuing their graduate studies at the world-renowned university.
- Kelsey Heiken and Kahley Rowell finished eighth and tenth, respectively, in the three-meter springboard finals at the Trojan Diving Invitational.
- The defending national champion women's team defeated Washington State 160-89.
- Tyler Pullen finished sixth at the one-meter dive.