In an effort to leave no stone unturned after the 2009 season, Tedford announced he will change the traditional practice time from afternoon to morning. Tedford hopes the new arrangement will make players more productive, yet give them more time to relax .
On Tuesdays and Thursdays during the season, Cal will practice around 8:30 a.m. They will start at around 9:30 on Wednesdays. But the players’ football duties will commence much earlier than when they actually hit the field for practice. They will lift weights and have position meetings earlier in the morning, meaning an early wake-up call will be in order. That will be a substantial change from what players are used to.
"Waking up early is going to be tough, but once we get started I think guys will get adjusted," Cal linebacker Mike Mohamed said. "I think the day will go more smoothly."
Tedford said he hopes players maximize their time so they are done with their academic stuff by evening. He wants them to have time to "decompress" and have time to themselves, while still getting to bed at a reasonable hour for the next morning’s practice.
After the jump Nnamdi Asomugha earns a prestigious community service award, the 2010 gameday shirt is released, a new batch fo SAHPC photos is released, and more.
- Here's an updated look at how the ongoing construction and renovation projects will affect gameday procedures. Fans will be able to walk on the roof of the SAHPC to reach certain sections of the stadium. In the future the SAHPC roof will serve as a plaza. Let's hope they have sufficiently addressed the dangerous overcrowding issue in the west side sections of the stadium. Go here for the latest photo gallery of the construction progress.
- Heisman Pundit listed the fastest players in college football. Shane Vereen earned an honorable mention.
- Nnamdi Asomugha will be one of fifteen recipients of the 2010 Jefferson Award. Known as the "Nobel Prize for Public Service," the prestigious award is given to those who make extensive efforts to give back to their communities. SFGate has a feature on Asomugha and the various community service projects with which he is involved.
- Wilner posts the most recent 2010 Pac-10 football television schedule. Cal currently has four games to be televised (Colorado, @Nevada, @USC, Stanford), not including games that could be picked up during ESPN/ABC's 12- or 6-day windows.
- The 2010 gameday shirt has been released. Naturally, it commemorates Memorial Stadium before the big renovation.