Today is Thursday, which means the ESPN bloggers are offering their predictions for this weekend's games. Ted Miller predicts Cal will win 38-17 saying
California wins in solid but unspectacular fashion, unless that 58-yard Jahvid Best TD run qualifies as spectacular. Bears fans afterwards fret that it wasn't as fancy as it could have been and blame Nate Longshore.
ACC blogger Heather Dinich anticipates a closer matchup but says Cal wins 35-27.
Ok, so I had a little fun with this one and flipped he score from last year, but it’s not far-fetched. With veteran quarterback Chris Turner returning to his home state, he should perform well, but the Bears have a tough defense and will be more than Maryland's new offensive line can handle.
Agree? Disagree? Want to offer a prediction of your own? Let us know after the jump. Also we have Cal-Maryland previews galore, articles on some of the stars on Cal's defense, an unusual Cal season prediction from Jon Wilner, a quote dump from JO, and more.
- Are you tired of reading predictions yet? Even if you are, check out this in-depth comparison of all facets of the teams from BearInsider. More on the unpredictable Maryland defense whose plays are 75% new. Expect some trouble on offense for the Bears in the first quarter.
- Cal's defense will be a formidable force as well, led by the quiet, wise-beyond-his-years Syd'Quan Thompson. Two buddies, Cameron Jordan and Tyson Alualu have two completely different approaches to football. Both hard workers, Jordan always wants to keep a smile on his face while Alualu remains reserved and quiet.
- The Terps have a long, boring, sleepless flight to California during which none of the players are allowed to nap. Efficient QB play, effective blitzing, and winning home games will be key to a successful season for Maryland.
- JO had no other place to post this collection of quotes from Best, Riley, D'Amato, Jones, and Thompson.
- Jon Wilner has a unique prediction for Cal's season in which they win the conference despite losses to UCLA and Stanford.
- Wear Cal gear on fridays to get a discount from various Berkeley retailers.
CGB Hall of Fame Wild Card voting is still open. Tomorrow is te last day to sign up for the CGB Pick 'Em League. Cal band auction is ongoing. Show your love for capitalism/Cal Band by buying things. All profits go to that band!
Since this is prediction Thursday, I'll start us off by offering my own prediction for Maryland at Cal. I expect Cal to score only 3 or 7 points in the first quarter due to the unpredictability of Maryland's defense. The game will remain close through the first half, though halftime adjustments will allow Cal to run away with a victory. What kind of victory? I have no idea as it depends on Riley and the receivers. Quick guess: 34-13, Cal wins. More points if Riley is effective in advancing the ball over short distances (through breaking free and scrambling or connecting on short passes).