Lots of news today. First and foremost, Riley is starting against Maryland. Fall camp is coming to an end and the depth chart is close to finalized. Tedford appears to be the most confident he has been in many years with this team. Bad news, though, as promising freshman Dasarte Yarnway will miss the season with a torn tendon in his foot. After the jump we take a look at incoming freshman players, an article written by kicker David Seawright, Cal Fan Appreciation Day, and weekend results from women's soccer and field hockey.
- Biggest news of the day: Kevin Riley was named starting quarterback.
- Cal kicker David Seawright writes an article on the stereotypes Cal athletes face in the classroom.
- Lights have been installed at Memorial Stadium.
- Bearswithfangs.com interviews Maryland's SBNation blog and learns about their improved offense and blitz-happy new defensive coordinator.
- Tedford is very confident in his team as camp approaches its end. Good news is that the depth charts for quarterbacks, wide receivers, fullbacks, and offensive line are becoming clear. Bad news: Dasarte Yarnway tore a tendon in his foot and will miss the season. Photos from Sunday's practice.
- Larry Biel interviews Tedford who speaks about his expectations for this year's program and his change in philosophy regarding high rankings.
- True freshmen like Dasarte Yarnway and Isi Sofele have been getting plenty of attention, but Scout.com takes a look at others like QB Allan Bridgford, center Mark Brazinski, and DE Deandre Coleman.
- Do you have plans for this weekend? You do now: Cal Fan Appreciation Day is Saturday at noon.
- Cal College Sports Day is September 20th. The free event is for 6th graders and younger who will learn about a variety of intercollegiate sports through hands-on activities.
- Women's soccer kicked the season off with 4-1 win over Nevada. Junior forward Alex Morgan completed a hat trick.
- Women's field hockey lost 3-1 to Stanford in a preseason match at Maxwell Family Field.