World Cup fever means only one thing—taking a look at your Pac-12 team's worst loss since the last World Cup in 2010. Considering we went 5–7, 7–6, 3–9, and 1–11 in that span, there were a lot of games to choose from.
There's a lot to choose from, and that's unfortunate if you're a Cal fan. There have been blowout losses to the Stanford, an aching two-point loss to Oregon and many, many other double-digit defeats from which to select. And if you're only as good as your last game, then Cal is in trouble, because the last time it took the field was a 63-13 loss to Stanford in which Kevin Hogan threw five touchdowns and Ty Montgomery scored touchdowns the first four times he touched the ball (five total). It was a depressing end (for Cal fans) to the first season of the Sonny Dykes era as the Bears failed to beat an FBS team.
We've even heard from CGB contributor Berkelium97 and reader JustBear on the subject.
I'd rank the top-3 losses as follows
1. UW 2010: the bowl streak ends in the most agonizing way possible and Old Memorial Stadium is closed with a loss
2. Nevada 2012: All the pageantry of the reopening of CMS and all the excitement of the season are immediately destroyed with a foreboding loss. At this point it's clear that the Tedford Era is coming to an end.
3. Texas 2011: Our dreams of revenge are brutally crushed by the Texas front seven
2011 loss to UCLA was really bad to, considering they were coming off a defeat to Arizona who had just fired Stoops and we were supposed to win that game.
Let's all cry together in the comments over our most painful losses and vote on what you think our most painful loss since 2010 was. And for those of you who hate Tedford, it's not witty to leave a comment saying the 2012 OSU loss wasn't painful since you were happy to see him go.
- Select Golden Bears are #Chillin4Charity
- Taking a look at Breana Kostreba—and her academic work as a mechanical engineer—and late Calumni Orlando Tafoya, who are connected as Kostreba is the recipient of the Orlando Tafoya Memorial Scholarship
- TE Jacob Wark discusses his decision to transfer to Oregon State
- The Pac-12 Media Day will be graced by Coach Sonny Dykes, QB Jared Goff, and DB Stefan McClure
- ESPN continues to rank each Position U for the 2000s. Cal's ranking for each is:
- On the other hand, College Football 24/7 ranked Quarterback U for the past 25 years with Cal coming in 6th nationally, 3rd in the Pac-12. That being said, they also suggested recruits will be interested in visiting Furd primarily with Strawberry Canyon being just a side trip since they're already in the area, so what do they know?
- Athlon Sports' Preseason All-Pac-12 team features three Bears: WR Chris Harper, LB Jalen Jefferson, and RB Khalfani Muhammad. Check out the full list here.
- Golden Scholars: Berkeley programs machines to love and tries to understand why we have sex
- Too early Cal MBB schedule analysis!
- Golden Nuggets: Best Cal Football Win Since the 2010 World Cup
- Cal football fans, what's your dream non-conference matchup?
- Cal Rugby wins 2014 Collegiate Rugby Sevens Championships Photo-Essay Part 2
- Time To Speak Truth To Power!