Is it football time yet?
To help that kickoff come earlier, our own Scott Chong spoke with Lake the Posts, a Northwestern blog, about the Bears' status heading into our season-opening face-off.
[Lake the Posts]: What should we expect when Cal visits Evanston this year? Is this the makings of a nifty little rivalry?
Scott: I'd predict a shoot-out. I doubt that our defense will do much to stop your offense either, especially if your O-line/QB play is better and your star RB is back from injury. If it looks like our offense is running on all cylinders, your guys will probably fake injuries again and your coach will deny it. (This is not why we lost the game last, fwiw.)
The post-game tension between Dykes/Fitzgerald makes for an interesting storyline that probably helps build the feeling of a rivalry that might be more grudging than nifty. It's too bad; off the field, I get the sense that both fan bases have a lot in common. I've enjoyed interacting with a lot of Northwestern fans over the past year.
Thanks to the folks at Lake the Posts for talking with us and we'll have their answers to some of our questions in a few days. Kudos to them for having a good sense of humor about their never-ending cramps, even though their readers don't think our program is very "academically minded."
Check out our links down below to see how all the other teams have fared this weekend, including a bunch of All-Academic selections!
- The Pac-12's All-Academic teams include Jo Ee Kok, Nicola Rössler, Carly Childs, and Morgan Thompson
- Brandon Hagy, Michael Weaver, Keelan Kilpatrick, and Joël Stalter earned Academic All-Pac-12 honors
- Coach Steve Desimone reflects on perhaps the greatest assembly of great college players of all great time
- The Pac-12 recognized Vanessa Alvarez, Jasmin Mejia, Nisa Ontiveros, and Danielle Henderson with All-Academic honors
- Four Bears (Gregory Bayane, Nikhil Jayashankar, Ben McLachlan, and Mads Engsted) are on the Academic All-Pac-12 team
- Lynn Chi (NCAA Singles finalist), Kelly Chui, and Anett Schutting are on the Pac-12's All-Academic teams
- Our new Strength & Conditioning Coach follows Cuonzo Martin from Tennessee--Nicodemus Christopher
- Travis DeCuire is officially the new head coach at Montana
- The Pac-12's Newcomer of the Year is Justin Murphy
- Cal is headed straight to the Intercollegiate Racing Championships
- Kara Kohler and Paparangi Hipango are on the All-Pac-12 teams
- The Bears advance to the NCAA Championships in Indianapolis
Men's Water Polo
- Spieker Aquatics Complex will host a match of Team USA vs. Team Serbia, which will have some Bear-on-Bear violence
- Cal spent their weekend in the Collegiate Rugby Championships earning victories over Temple and Maryland for entry into the Championship Round
- Cal football great LB Mychal Kendricks made the short trip from Philly to cheer for the Bears
Track and Field
- Milan Ristic's hurdle-tastic performance at the NCAA Championship West Preliminaries earned a place in the quarterfinals
- DB Damaria(y) Drew voluntarily waived the right to a preliminary hearing
- Athlon Sports previews the 2014 Cal squad, ranking us the 76th best team in the nation
- OL coach Zach Yenser and his players Chris Borrayo and Steven Moore have an extensive discussion on OL progress
- Remembering some of the greatest to ever wear the Blue and Gold: TE Tony Gonzalez and OL Alex Mack:
- RB Justin Forsett has been taking first-team reps with the Ravens ahead of Pro Bowler Ray Rice. Although it's probably just to punish Rice... (Video autoplays.)
- WR DeSean Jackson is settling in nicely with his new team, but he suffered a recent injury that he dismisses as a hamstring that's "just a little tight"
- CGB Hall of Fame: (8) Bryan Anger vs. (9) Sean Lampley
- Cal Men's Basketball Lands a Point Guard
- CGB Hall of Fame: (1) Justin Cobbs vs. (16) Kevin Parker
- Cal Olympic Sports Roundup - Women's Tennis 10th, Men's Golf 11th, Men's Tennis 16th, Women's Golf 22nd
- What do you want to ask Coach Likens and Coach Yenser?