This week, the Bears held the Oskis to celebrate all of our student-athletes at the end of the year. Of course, the Bears can't just have your usual party. Cal—our student-athletes in particular—went to great lengths to ensure the event would be certified green.
Led by the efforts of senior swimmer Scott Farley, this year's edition of the The Oskis is a certified green event by Cal's Office of Sustainability. Farley, assisted by freshman Nicole Vincelette of the lacrosse team, worked to meet the Office of Sustainability's requirements to make it officially green. The event had to meet certain prerequisites, and planners had to come up with two innovation points that demonstrate further reduction of the impact The Oskis will have on the environment.
"Having this certification shows that the students in the athletic department are interested in reducing our impact," said Farley, who Monday received the Neufeld Scholar-Athlete Award given to the graduating senior with the highest cumulative GPA. "Being here for four years, I know there a lot of things that we could do."
Kudos to Farley and Vincelette for thinking beyond themselves and demonstrating this altruism.
And let's turn to Twitter for some live reporting from the event.
From the no shocker dept: Missy Franklin gets Oski for Female Newcomer of the Year. #oskis2014.— Jonathan Okanes (@CalBearBlog) May 7, 2014
- Cal Athletics Hall of Famer Cliff Mayne—who played on our tennis and basketball teams and was a diehard Cal alumnus—passed away at the age of 80. Our condolences to his friends, family, and loved ones.
- Men's and Women's Tennis, Women's Gymnastics, and Women's Volleyball earned Public Recognition Awards from the NCAA for their exceptional academic accomplishments
- Chancellor Dirks fulfilled his Promise for Education by painting the Big C
- Recapping the Academic Honors Luncheon
Track and Field
- At the end of the season, the men's team is officially RANKED NUMBER ONE AND UNDEFEATED in the Track & Field News rankings
- Recapping the 2014 Big Rows, which was bad for the women's team, but good for the men's team
- Kylie Reed breaks down the Cal experience and her game-day preparations
- Check out some great community service by our team!
- For some quantitative analysis of just how young our team was in 2013, ESPN broke down offensive and defensive production by class in the Pac-12 North. There are some miscalculations for rushing production, but just a little over 2% of our offensive production came from seniors...
- Jeff Faraudo predicts which Bears will be drafted and when in what may be one of the worst drafts for Cal in recent history
- Introducing Kabam Field at California Memorial Stadium! (H/T to puresilence)
- Golden Scholars: Taking forecasts to a new extreme and Berkeley engineers show grit in Human-Powered Vehicle Competition
- Golden Recruiting Wire: A Change of Focus
- Ranking 2013's Most Efficient Collegiate QBs Using the QB Score
- Golden Nuggets: Cal Recognizes Top Student Athletes at Academic Honors Luncheon
- Cal football: Chris Palmer added to 2014 recruiting class