An abysmal debut season and a conference of talented coaches means bad things for Sonny Dykes.
It seems unfair to rank Dykes at the bottom of the Pac-12, but there's not a bad coach in the conference. Dykes' debut at California did not go well, as the Golden Bears finished 1-11 and winless in conference play for the first time since 2001. While the final record was not pretty, California had a handful of injuries to key players on defense, and Jared Goff was a true freshman getting his first snaps at quarterback. Dykes took steps this offseason to ensure last year's 1-11 won't be repeated. The defensive staff got a major overhaul and a solid recruiting class will help with the overall depth. Prior to his one season at California, Dykes went 22-15 at Louisiana Tech, including a 17-8 mark over the final two years.
- April Fool's Day on the old-timey Berkeley campus
- Alexis Gray-Lawson will be joining the Phoenix Mercury's training-camp roster
- Coach Gottlieb spoke to the Women's Basketball Coaches Association about the importance of leadership and explained why she cultivated a warm, family atmosphere for her program
- Cal (16–2, 5–0 PAC) ends the regular season with a two-game losing streak, coming up short against St. Mary's
- Cal (1–3) could not defeat the hated Stanfurd, with the team of Lara Vukosavic & Sarah Cole suffering their first loss this season
Track and Field
- Milan Ristic ran the fourth-fastest time in the 110m hurdles nationally and nearly placed a new record for his homeland, Serbia, as he trains for the 2016 Olympics
- Friday's practice featured visits from six Berkeley faculty members invited by our own players and a new emphasis on 11-on-11 play
- Full pads were used in Saturday's practice, but Coach Dykes is trying not to let practice turn into an opportunity for the injury bug to strike again. For more on Saturday's practice, check with our intrepid reporter, Nam!
- A Q&A with junior college–transfer DL Trevor Kelly, who grew up a fan of Cal and Tyson Alualu
- Justin Forsett has joined the Ravens!
- Who should be the next Cal Men's Basketball Coach?
- Cal basketball coaching candidates: Notre Dame coach Mike Brey
- Cal Olympic Sports Roundup - Which Cal team can bring home the next NCAA title?
- Cal football spring preview: There is a secondary in here somewhere
- CGB Hall of Fame Nominations Thread, Class of 2014