The Bears have an uphill battle to earn a postseason berth. A Big Series win certainly helps the cause.
Led by the stellar pitching of sophomore right-hander Ryan Mason and senior reliever Trevor Hildenberger, plus a 12-hit attack, Cal baseball defeated Stanford, 9-5, Monday night at Sunken Diamond to capture the Big Series.
Mason threw 8.0 innings with six hits, four earned runs, three walks and three strikeouts to improve his record to 4-0.
After Stanford had gotten within four on Austin Slater's two-run triple in the bottom of the ninth inning, Hildenberger came in to earn his eighth save by striking out two of the next three batters.
With the win, Cal improves to 18-21 overall and 7-11 in the Pac-12. Stanford drops to 18-19 and 7-11 in league. Cal won its last conference series over the Cardinal at the end of the 2012 season at Sunken Diamond.
BIGGEST NEWS OF THE YEAR
- Dora Antal's goal in sudden-death overtime propelled the Bears to a win in the MPSF Third Place Game.
- The Bears earned their third NCAA Tournament berth in team history.
- Carly Childs finished 13th at the Pac-12 Championships, the best individual finish for the Bears since 2010. The team finished 7th overall. The team earned its 15th consecutive bid to the NCAA Regionals.
- The men's team finished 3rd at the Pac-12 Championships. The Bears resume play in a few weeks in the NCAA Championships.
- Brandon Hagy and Joel Stalter earned All Pac-12 honors.
Swimming and Diving