Senior guard Ricky Kreklow has decided to transfer from Cal and play immediately at another school as a fifth-year senior, according to Cal Rivals.
Kreklow played his freshman season at Missouri before transferring to Cal, which would make this new school the third in his career. Kreklow averaged 5.5 points, 2.6 rebounds and 1.8 assists last season, but could never really jumpstart his Cal career due to nagging injuries that kept him out for long stretches of 2012-13 and 2013-14.
With the departure of Justin Cobbs, Kreklow was likely a candidate to be a key player in Cuonzo Martin's first season. Kreklow's departure means that Cal will have to rely on Jabari Bird as the primary small forward next season, with Jordan Matthews likely stretching over to the three at certain points. Martin's biggest concern going forward will be finding athletic wings, because outside Bird there doesn't seem to be any talent incoming.
Best of luck to Kreklow in his future.
- Golden Nuggets: Coach Sonny Dykes is using Berkeley's esteemed professors and the Faculty Fellows program to instill an academic culture
- Ted Agu cause of death: Hypertrophic cardiomyopathy
- A closer look at Malik Psalms
- Golden Scholars: Berkeley researchers test animals for self-restraint and climate for societal effects
- Cal football spring practice recap: Predicting the depth chart