We interrupt your written-before-Cal-vs.-Arizona Golden Nuggets to bring you a brief message.
GO BEARS GO BEARS GO BEARS GO BEARS GO BEARS
CAL UPSETS #1 ARIZONA
California beats a No. 1 team for 3rd time in school history (Cincinnati in 1960 and UCLA in 1994)— ESPN Stats & Info (@ESPNStatsInfo) February 2, 2014
MORE GOLD-OUT VICTORY COVERAGE BELOW.
WE NOW RETURN YOU TO YOUR BORING NON–CAPS LOCK GOLDEN NUGGETS.
Jus bless and thankful as i take the feild 2marro with my brothers— C.J. Anderson (@CjAndersonRB9) February 2, 2014
We've got two Bears with the Seahawks. DL Brandon Mebane has been unrecognized by the media, but not his teammates, including DE Cliff Avril.
"He's definitely one of the best nose guards in the game, but he doesn't get the recognition for whatever reason," Avril told reporters on Thursday.
And as Avril observed, Mebane is adept at making life rather difficult for the center across from him.
"He makes the whole defense's job easier," Avril said. ". . . If the center can get to where he wants to go, it kind of hurts the team. For (Mebane) to be able to hold centers up and make plays - he makes everybody's job easier."
The most famous of the Bears who will take to the field today is RB Marshawn Lynch, who's been making earthquakes on and off the field. While he's been getting lots of attention (and hate from the media) for having so little to say during the media hype leading to the Super Bowl, his teammates have come forward in defense of Lynch.
The Seahawks have heard all they can handle about teammate Marshawn Lynch. They defended their star running back Thursday, the final day of the players' availability to the media.
Teammates came to the defense of media-shy Marshawn Lynch and described him as talkative with those close to him.
"The fact that the league threatened Marshawn with suspensions and fines and forcing him to speak is absurd," receiver Doug Baldwin said. "It's ridiculous. The guy doesn't want to speak to the media and you're forcing him to. It's frustrating for me to even speak about."
FTW: Tell me about the work your foundation does. I heard you were really excited about it?
Lynch: We are in the process of building a youth development center, so all of the money that will be raised with Skittles and myself will go towards that. We have countless events through the summer and the offseason where we go bowling, do family picnics, family dinners, Easter Sunday - it's endless to the amount of charitable things we do. And a lot of the things that we really do go unnoticed, like we do pop-ups in the ‘hood where we'll go to all the inner-city high schools, elementary schools, junior high schools. We go out over everywhere to talk to kids about how to better their lives, things that we use that helped us to get what we're at now.
Women's Swimming and Diving
- Top-ranked Cal was upset by no. 5 USC, then rebounded with a victory over no. 17 UCLA
- Victoria Williams is a standout diver and the first member of her family to attend college
- The comeback bid fell just short, with no. 21/19 Cal (14–6, 6–3 Pac-12) falling to the heinous no. 4 Stanfurd (coverage by CalBears.com, Inside Bay Area, SFGate, and the Chronicle)
- Brittany Boyd has been named to the Dawn Staley Award Watch List
- A spotlight on Avigiel Cohen and what has driven her to success and service
- Richard Solomon leads the BCS conferences in rebounds per game
- Cal is still in consideration for high-school star Ivan Rabb
- CAL UPSETTING #1 ARIZONA IS A THING THAT HAPPENED (COVERAGE BY CALBEARS.COM, CALBEARS'S BEAR BLOG, STATISTICAL NOTES & QUOTES, CBS SPORTS, FOX SPORTS, USA TODAY, INSIDE BAY AREA, SFGATE)
Berkeley California after Cal takes down #1 Arizona! https://t.co/ST6ps1yyjr— Sam Laird (@samcmlaird) February 2, 2014
Men's Water Polo
- Coach Rich Feller's interview on Inside the Locker Room
Track and Field
- WR DeSean Jackson is continuing his relationship with once-bullied Nadin Khoury in their mission to eradicate bullying
- Cal's alumni won the most awards at the NFL Honors with QB Aaron Rodgers, WR Keenan Allen, and Coach Ron Rivera taking home earning top recognition
- Remember when Tedford sought to master the Patriots' TE offense, but was never able to implement it due to injuries to Richard Rodgers and Spencer Hagan? It may finally come to life in Tampa Bay...
- Rodgers was voted by his peers as the recipient of the Bart Starr Award, recognizing "outstanding character and leadership in the home, on the field and in the community" (So this was a few weeks ago, but CGB did not cover it at the time)
- DL Cameron Jordan and LB Mychal Kendricks are showing off some of their style