The news keeps on coming fast and furious this Sunday for Cal fans. All California Golden Bears will probably know their defensive coaches by this time tomorrow.
SOURCE: All-player meeting called for #Cal on Monday. Could mean announcement of new DC imminent.— Ryan Gorcey (@RGBearTerritory) January 19, 2014
It's not clear who the defensive backs coach could be. Marvin Sanders is the only name that's been publicly circulated. But we do have at least three candidates who have been mentioned for the defensive coordinator position and might be in the running.
- Former Michigan/Texas defensive coordinator Greg Robinson was circulated as the first real candidate for the job. Robinson was interviewed, and even though he did a good job patching up Manny Diaz's team, there is definitely a lot of trepidation as to whether he's the right man for the job
- Former Cincinnati defensive coordinator Art Kaufman has definitely been on Sonny Dykes's shortlist for quite some time. Kaufman has proven he can turn defenses around or at the least improve them significantly, but this is probably a more difficult job in Berkeley.
- Cal alum Ron English is available and on the market, but he carries a lot of baggage with him both on and off the field. This might have been a decent hire last year, but there would be a lot of questions. It's not clear whether English has been interviewed or not.
- It's disputed whether former UCLA defensive coordinator DeWayne Walker was a candidate. Some are saying he was, others are saying he never interviewed.
- I wrote something up on Todd Orlando too, but it doesn't appear like he's a realistic candidate given the zero buzz on him. Go me.
So make your picks in the comments and vote in the poll! Who would satisfy you as the next Cal defensive coordinator?
- Cal football recruiting commit: Darius White, Itawamba Community College cornerback
- Cal football recruiting commit: Dominic Granado, Golden West Community College offensive lineman
- Golden Nuggets: Cal overcomes "stagnant" start in victory over Washington State
- Cal football recruiting: Nifae Lealao visiting, Troy Bacon offered, Noah Westerfield pulls a Ray Davison
- Cal 76, WSU 55: Bears awaken from first half slumber, rout Cougs