After struggling with ball security in the first quarter, starting QB and freshman phenom Jared Goff was benched in favor of redshirt freshman Zach Kline. Coach Sonny Dykes explained the switch at the post-game press conference:
Quite frankly, we weren't worried about his (Jared Goff) confidence. We were just worried about his ability to hold onto the football. The ball kept coming out of his hands and he had a difficult time holding onto it. I didn't have much confidence that he was going to be able to hold onto it. I made a change with Zach (Kline) and he gave us a little bit of pop when we first put him in there. We dropped balls all night long. Pretty much everything you can do poorly as a football team we did tonight.
Does this mean the job of starting QB is up for grabs again, in line with Dykes's stance that all positions are under perpetual evaluation?
Zack Kline said he was a little surprised to get put in. Said he expects to be in a battle for the starting job next week— Hunter Hewitt (@HunterHewitt) September 29, 2013
Contrary to what Kline thinks, Dykes said he expects Goff to start next week despite his bad start. Just felt Goff struggled in the rain— Hunter Hewitt (@HunterHewitt) September 29, 2013
Well, don't forget to stay afloat (HAHAHAHAHAHAHAH I'M SO FUNNY) with the other Cal sports using the links below!
- It might be time to chant "hip hip Jorge" with the Nets
- The 20th anniversary reunion of the 1992-93 team had an emphasis on charity
- Practice has started for the 2013-14 season! Don't believe me? There's pictographical evidence!
- Jeff Powers interviews Sam Singer after his first practice (YouTube)
- Coach Ginger Miles will be joining Team Scotland as defensive coordinator for the Home Internationals in March
Women's Swimming and Diving
- The men's and women's teams ran in the Virginia Invitational and the Stanfurd Invitational on Saturday
- At the Virginia Invitational, the women's team finished sixth thanks to a fourth-place finish by Kelsey Santisteban
- The Blue Doubles finals will pit one Cal team against another. When will this Bear-on-Bear violence end‽
Men's Water Polo
- Some post-game analysis by Cal, ESPN, the AP, Inside Bay Area, and SFGate (and some statistical notes).
- Interviews from the post-game presser by Dykes, Goff, and Kline:
- The beast Fire Lane Kiffin has come to life! But not even allowing him on the bus? Harsh.
— SportsCenter (@SportsCenter) September 29, 2013