Update: Franklin, Vollmer, Hardy, non-Bear Romano won Gold in W. 4x100 medley relay
Here is Hardy's Bronze in 50 Breast
TV: NBC (tape delayed), 10-12 AM PT
Rebroadcast: Universal Sports, 6-8 PM PT
Online: We are not allowed to post illegitimate stream here, but this event is a big enough deal that you can find streams from the typical sports stream websites. It is possible that BBC is going to broadcast these races live.
Events for Sunday:
|Men's 50 m backstroke final|
|Women's 50 m breaststroke final|
|Men's 400 m individual medley final|
|Women's 50 m freestyle final|
|Men's 1500 m freestyle final|
|Women's 400 m individual medley final|
|Men's 4x100 m medley final|
|Women's 4x100 m medley final|
- Jessica Hardy (USA) made the 50 Breast final and is considered a favorite to medal.
- Not sure what the official lineup are for the 4x100 medley relays. Missy Franklin is a lock to take part and will be going for a women's record of 6 Golds in a World Championships. But who will she swim with? Both Dana Vollmer (Fly) and Jessica Hardy (Breast) will swim in the medley relay. If Franklin somehow swims the Freestyle leg rather than the Backstroke, then Liz Pelton would swim the Back to give Team USA an all Cal flavor. (Update: Liz Pelton swam the prelim leg of the relay for team USA...so I think she is up for a medal if US win one in the finals. Out of all 8 swimmers used for the US in this event, half of them would have gone to Berkeley.)
- Confirmed by Twitter, Nathan Adrian with represents the US to swim the freestyle leg of the 4x100 medley final.
While 2 medals are still quite a nice result, I was somewhat bummed that the Bears weren't able to get on the podium more on Saturday.
Women's 50 Fly Final:
Dana Vollmer was the last off the block and could not recover to finish better than 8th. The 50 meter races are really influenced by the start and thus are a bit more of a crapshoot than the longer races.
Well that was not what I wanted- those are the races that motivate me to workout harder! I'm glad I have that 2nd 50 tmrw in the relay!!— Dana Vollmer (@danavollmer) August 3, 2013
Men's 50 Free Final:
This result was the most surprising for me, but all the swimmers other than the winner (Brazilian Cielo) were just all so bunched up. Nathan Adrian and Anthony Ervin finished 4th and 6th to miss the podium.
Nathan Adrian is ready to bounce back in the relay today though.
Last one fast one! 4x100 Medley relay tonight #GoUSA!— Nathan Adrian (@Nathangadrian) August 4, 2013
Women's 200 Back Final:
And here is Missy's Interview post race.
Missy Franklin set a new Championship Record with a time of 2:04.76 in her "favorite event". Elizabeth Pelton couldn't match her time from the US Trials (which would have been good enough for Silver here) and finished 5th.
Here is Liz and Missy cooling down after the 200 back semi.
Women's 800 Free Final:
It's the same result as the 400 Free and 1500 Free which means that Lauren Boyle (New Zealand) got her third Bronze. Ledecky set another record time, can Teri convince her to come to Cal when she is old enough to go to college?
Here is an interesting article in the Chicago Tribune about the amount of money that both Missy Franklin and Katie Ledecky are leaving behind to remain NCAA eligible.
Women's 50 Breast Semi-final:
With the 3rd best time, Jessica Hardy is into the 50 Breast final on Sunday.
Saved the best for last; have 2 finals on the last session of the competition! Reppin' the stars & stripes in the 50 breast & 400 med relay.— Jessica Hardy (@swimhardy) August 4, 2013
She will pull a double duty and also swim in the medley relay for the US.
Women's 50 Free Semi-final:
I'm sure this is not what Natalie Coughlin had in mind, to be eliminated in the 50 Free semi. Her time was only the 12th best as Natalie's transition into being a freestyle sprinter is still a work in progress. She still has some time to figure this out before the next Olympics. Best of luck to one of the most success and popular (in any sports) Cal Golden Bears of all time.
Ugh. Not the race I was looking for but that's alright! Leaving the meet with a personal best in my 100 free (from the relay). I'll take it!— Natalie Coughlin (@NatalieCoughlin) August 3, 2013
List of Cal Bears medals in the 2013 Barcelona World Championships:
By events: 5 Golds, 1 Silver, 6 Bronzes
- Lauren Boyle (New Zealand) with a Bronze in 400 Free
- Natalie Coughlin and Missy Franklin with Golds for the US in 4x100 Free relay
- Nathan Adrian and Anthony Ervin with Silvers for US in 4x100 Free relay
- Dana Vollmer (USA) with a Bronze in 100 Fly
- Missy Franklin (USA) with a 2nd Gold in 100 Back
- Lauren Boyle (New Zealand) with a 2nd Bronze in 1500 Free
- Jessica Hardy (USA) with a Bronze in 100 Breast
- Missy Franklin (USA) with a 3rd Gold in 200 Free
- Nathan Adrian (USA) with a Bronze in 100 Free
- Missy Franklin (USA) with a 4th Gold, this time in the 4x200 Free relay
- Missy Franklin (USA) with a 5th Gold in 200 Back
- Lauren Boyle (New Zealand) with a 3rd Bronze in 800 Free
- Honorable Mentions: Damir Dugonjic (Slovenia) with two 4th place finish in 50 and 100 Breast, Elizabeth Pelton (USA) with a 4th place finish in 100 Back, Missy Franklin (USA) with a 4th place finish in 100 Free, Caitlin Leverenz (USA) with a 5th place finish in 200 IM, Nathan Adrian (USA) and Anthony Ervin (USA) with 4th and 6th place finishes, respectively, in 50 Free, Elizabeth Pelton (USA) with a 5th place finish in 200 Back, and Dana Vollmer (USA) with a 8th place finish in 50 Fly
|Trinidad and Tobago||0||0||1||1|